What Is The Best Store-Bought Buttercream?

Decorating By beauty4151980 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm by kansaslaura

beauty4151980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beauty4151980 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 7

I've been making my buttercream from scratch up to this point, but I want to have some store-bought options in case I need some in a pinch. What are the best-tasting and easiest to smooth store-bought buttercream options?

6 replies
mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 7

I can only say do not buy Wilton. It is the most horrible thing ever. My daughter just took a kids class and they had us buy it and use and it was disgusting. My DD is a huge sweet eater and even she said it was terrible.

I know Michaels sells Duffs you could try that. I would just make a few batches of your scratch and save it in the fridge or freezer

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 7

Sam's isn't too bad and it is a crusting BC. You have to ask for it at the bakery.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireClutch

Is there a good store-bought buttercream?

I'm with Sapphire. I'll be curious to find out if there is. Actually my cake store sells a few. Kinda chicken to try them, I love my sugarshack bc!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 7

Sams! I use it ALL the time! I just add more flavoring to it. It's easy to use, work with, it crusts well, and it comes in a big 28lb bucket which lasts a while

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 7

I had always looked at the buckets of icing they sell at my cake supply store, but never bought it until recently because of time constraints. I bought a 25 lb. bucket of Quality Bakery Products, Inc. ultra smooth white creme icing and it worked great. Not too sweet and everyone liked it. It crust really well also and held up nicely in hot/humid weather.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 7

Honestly, how big of a pinch could it be to make you use store bought? By the time you go get it you could have a batch made.

A mediocre frosting will drag your whole cake down. I can't imagine doing all the work of baking a fabulous tasting cake, doing all work of decorating and have it taste 'commercial in the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%