Ok, You [I]May[/i] Have A Convert Here!!

Decorating By chrissypie Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm by sweetheart6710

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #31 of 53

I saw a thread on here a month or so ago about how awesome the Hershey's chocolate cake is. So..I tried it, and I have conerted too! Plus all the suggestions here I can't wait to try. Thanks everyone! thumbs_up.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:41pm
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

I'd love it if you could post it, as that product isn't for sale here. I'm still on the hunt for a good recipe!

Also, I HATE coffee, but see a lot of chocolate cake recipes which include it. Can you taste it? Does anyone know what it contributes to the recipe? It seems like an odd thing to put in a chocolate cake.....?

Zespri, do you get Cadbury's cocoa powder in New Zealand? I bet that is fantastic. Next time someone visits from England I am making sure they bring some! LOL!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #33 of 53

I have been making the Hershey's cake since I was 13! I am now almost triple that age! It is my favorite! But I have never used coffee or buttermilk or sour cream in it! I am going to have to try that! Very soon!

I have always wished I could find a vanilla cake that is as moist yet spongy as this. I wonder what I would get if I used the regular recipe but add a little bit more flour and omit the cocoa powder. I'll try that!

Sometimes I do add a 1/2 tsp cinnamon as well! Its true... it adds a whole other flavor dimension.

Here's a mocha frosting that is so easy to make, yet soooooo good!

2 tsps. instant coffee
1tbsp. very hot water
2 C powdered sugar
2 tbsp, butter, softened
2-3 tsp water

Dissolve coffe in hot water in medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients until smooth!

It is soooo good! I have as much as quadrupled this recipe and use it for a host of things! Adjust with confectioner's sugar and instant coffee for consistency.

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #34 of 53

Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #35 of 53

Has anyone made it using another cocoa?

This blogger has me wanting to try Ghirardelli: http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2010/04/recipe-perfectly-chocolate-cupcakes.html

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:47pm
post #36 of 53

MMM FlourPots they may be onto something!

I just made this cake for the first time today, it rose beautifully with no domes at all!

I did sub coffee and I also subbed about a fourth a cup of Hershey Special Dark Cocoa for the cocoa. It was good.

Next time I am definitely subbing half brown sugar and maybe the sour cream?

Can anyone explain how the sour cream makes a difference? I know in my vanilla cake it makes it sort of tangy, does it do that with this cake? Sounds delicious!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Has anyone made it using another cocoa?

This blogger has me wanting to try Ghirardelli: http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2010/04/recipe-perfectly-chocolate-cupcakes.html

I have using store brand cocoa, but its not as good.
I have also used a brand called Saco, I buy it a t Meijer and it worked well.
I would think any brand would work.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:19am
post #38 of 53

will have to try. But I will have to buy a cup a coffee to put in it. I don't even own a coffee pot.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:03am
post #39 of 53

cabecakes - you just buy instant coffee! That's what I do. They sell these little individual packets that you stir into hot water - kind of like instant hot cocoa. Just look in the coffee section at your grocery store. They'll be in a box - I like these so I can just use them as needed and don't have to worry about it losing freshness quickly!

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #40 of 53

I have to make chocolate cakes next weekend. I am going to try it. Thanks!!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:04pm
post #41 of 53

I like it w/ half Hersheys regular cocoa and half dark cocoa.

Thanks for the cinnamon tip!

I was very concerned at how thin this batter was at first but it become cake.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

LOL! Don't laugh, I didn't invent the wheel here! I used the recipe on the back of the Hersheys Cocoa box, but instead of adding whole milk, I used Buttermilk, and instead of the water, I used strong brewed coffee. If you all need the recipe and don't have the cocoa box, I will reprint it. I have to tell you, it was like an epiphany! LOL!

The coffee is the key, baby!! I use the cake mix extender recipe, I like the stability and consistency--and I always use coffee in my chocolate and people SWOON!

I'm going to try that recipe one of these days, tho--heard way too much about it!

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDukes

For the coffee can you use a folgers single? that's the only coffee I have and would not have a clue as how to make real coffee. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sure you can! I would use 2 singles with the amount of water for one. That way you are getting an intensely "brewed" coffee to add to your chocolate cake. It really does make it taste amazing! (and not like coffee icon_wink.gif )

Thanks, I am getting ready to make a cake for the fam and I will give this a try.
thanks again

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #44 of 53

Yep, Cadbury's chocolate is probably our answer to Hershey's! I'm not sure if it'd be better or not, having never compared the two.

However some years ago I used to participate in probably the complete opposite of this forum, a womens body-for-life (fitness) forum. One of the gilrs there was talking about how much she liked Cadbury chocolate. I told her that it was far superior in NZ due to our milk, she had doubts, so I sent her a whole bunch. She posted about it on her blog:
http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/index.blog/240836/new-zealand-cadbury/

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

I'd love it if you could post it, as that product isn't for sale here. I'm still on the hunt for a good recipe!

Also, I HATE coffee, but see a lot of chocolate cake recipes which include it. Can you taste it? Does anyone know what it contributes to the recipe? It seems like an odd thing to put in a chocolate cake.....?

Zespri, do you get Cadbury's cocoa powder in New Zealand? I bet that is fantastic. Next time someone visits from England I am making sure they bring some! LOL!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #45 of 53

I can't wait to have my friend who hates coffee to try these. the batter tastes of coffee but I don't taste it in the baked product.

chrissypie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #46 of 53

Zespri,

I would probably agree with you on the fact that the chocolate is better in NZ due to the milk. I love the cadbury we get in the US, it is far superior, to me, to any other brand. I like milk chocolate, so I like it to be creamy and melt in your mouth, and it is. I find Hersheys and other brands to be chalky and just not appealing, no creaminess. I have also had Cadbury from England and the Cadbury from England is so much better! I am sure from NZ it is even better! Now you have my mouth watering ! LOL!

FlourPots Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #47 of 53
Quote:

Zespri,

I love the cadbury we get in the US, it is far superior, to me, to any other brand. I like milk chocolate, so I like it to be creamy and melt in your mouth, and it is. I find Hersheys and other brands to be chalky and just not appealing, no creaminess.

Man...I could've written this...I feel exactly the same way!

Everyone who knows me, knows I love "Cad", LOL!

chrissypie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:32pm
post #48 of 53

LOL! Now I want some! Hahaha!

FlourPots Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #49 of 53

Me too...LOL!!!

zespri Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #50 of 53

A terrible thing happened last easter though. The reason our cream eggs are so good is partly due to the ingredients, partly due to the machinery. They use an 'injection' technique to get the filling into the egg. Whereas the rest of the world squirt it into the half eggs then put the two halves together. Well, Cadbury U.K. can make N.Z.'s entire cream egg run for the year in half a day. So due to the cost saving they transferred it all to the U.K. You can't believe the uproar! It was all over the news, in the papers, people starting up protests... lol! Because really, we've all grown up with the cream eggs, and the ones from the U.K. are rather disgusting. When I bought my first one I thought there was something wrong with it and threw it away. (That was before I heard the news). So anyway, they'll never be the same due to cost cutting *sigh*

However the other chocolate is still made here, so all is not lost!

I lived in America for about a year and a half, and there are plenty of things I miss. Togo's sandwiches, cheesecake factory strawberry cheesecake, mexican food, bagels, pizza from new york (why isn't it as good anywhere else?), lawry's seasoned salt, moon over my hammy from dennys.... the list is endless! And when I look at the range of stuff available for cake decorating, I'm really envious! Especially your colour selection, ours is limited here as some of the ingredients are banned.

Oh man... I haven't had breakfast yet, I'm thinking about Togo's sandwiches! *drool drool*

chrissypie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #51 of 53

I am from NY so I understand about the Pizza and Bagels. I will give props to NY for that! I know what you mean about the cream eggs. Sometimes they are all dried out inside as well. I would protest too! Hahahahaha! Cost cutting measures always ruins things! Well, one day, I hope to visit your beautiful country and I will have to try the chocolate for myself! Unfortunately if I make it to New Zealand, my hubby will want to go to Australia, which has me freaked out due to all the poisonous snakes and spiders and sea snakes, and jelly fish and sharks. I suppose you guys have a similar situation. Although I heard New Zealand has no snakes!

By the way, it always freaks me out to know that so many colors are banned in other countries, and not here! But I guess after eating all the bad food here, a little poisonous color won't harm anyone! Hahahaha!

zespri Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #52 of 53

They sell bagels in the supermarket here, but they are like a totally different product to the ones I've had in NY and NJ.

Don't be freaked out about Australia, I've been there several times and never seen any of those things. I have friends who live there and they say they almost never see them too. You'll also never see a koala or a kangaroo or a wallaby unless you go out looking for them. Apparently more common is the huntsman spider, which is about the size of your hand, but perfectly harmless. Never seen one of those either! No, we don't have anything here. Unfortunately the white tail spider has made it's way over from Aussie, but there really isn't anything scary in NZ at all. If you're out in the depths of the bush you might come upon a wild pig, but that's probably about it!

If you're going to come all this way, you really should see both Aussie and NZ, they're quite different. NZ nature is green and lush and like nowhere else in the world. Australia is more dry and earthy. Both are great, but different.

Quote:

I am from NY so I understand about the Pizza and Bagels. I will give props to NY for that! I know what you mean about the cream eggs. Sometimes they are all dried out inside as well. I would protest too! Hahahahaha! Cost cutting measures always ruins things! Well, one day, I hope to visit your beautiful country and I will have to try the chocolate for myself! Unfortunately if I make it to New Zealand, my hubby will want to go to Australia, which has me freaked out due to all the poisonous snakes and spiders and sea snakes, and jelly fish and sharks. I suppose you guys have a similar situation. Although I heard New Zealand has no snakes!

By the way, it always freaks me out to know that so many colors are banned in other countries, and not here! But I guess after eating all the bad food here, a little poisonous color won't harm anyone! Hahahaha!

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #53 of 53

I use the Herseys recipe too. But usually I stick to it right off the box. The coffee sounds interesting to me though.. Anyone have a preference between sour cream or buttermilk? Which is better? What does each one do?

Also, I made this recipe as cupcakes a few months ago, and it was a total fail! They were so flat and hard on top I had to throw them away icon_sad.gif Of course they tasted good, but they didnt rise like my normal pretty cupcakes. Any advice?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%