How Do I Thicken A Thin Frosting W/out Adding Powdered Sugar

Baking By ialuce Updated 6 Nov 2015 , 6:09am by AnAngelsKiss

ialuce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ialuce Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 16

I make a banana carob frosting and use fresh bananas, butter, and carob powder. I find it hard to write on such a thin frosting. What can I use other than powdered sugar to thicken it?

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 16

nothing I can think of. Powdered sugar is the best option.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 16

Any specific reason you're against the sugar?

ialuce Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

I make all natural, low sugar dog treats, cakes & cup cakes. I was hoping I could use an all natural product to thicken the frosting.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialuce

Quote:

I make all natural, low sugar dog treats, cakes & cup cakes. I was hoping I could use an all natural product to thicken the frosting.

But sugar is "all natural"? I can understand the low sugar issues but not the idea that sugar is not natural. Splenda, Equal, Sweet & Low are not natural.

Kristy

ialuce Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:

Quote:

But sugar is "all natural"? I can understand the low sugar issues but not the idea that sugar is not natural. Splenda, Equal, Sweet & Low are not natural.

Kristy

you are very correct, let me re-pharse, I was hoping to use a product other than powder sugar that is all natural. I wouldn't be oppose to part powder sugar but what else could I use in combination w/powder sugar? Anyone? icon_smile.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 16

Could you bump up the carob powder?

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Could you bump up the carob powder?

that is what I was going to say too. My puppy loves the homemade treats I made with my kids a while ago.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 16

Cornstarch. It thickens without changing the taste. I use it in my BC icing to keep it from being too sweet. Works miracles.

ialuce Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Cornstarch. It thickens without changing the taste. I use it in my BC icing to keep it from being too sweet. Works miracles.

Thank you, I will try that.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 16

Cornstarch... interesting. I'd never thought of that! The last batch of icing I made was a little too sweet, but perfect otherwise. Maybe next time I'll use a bit of cornstarch instead of the extra sugar and some salt to cut down on the sweetness.
Thanks for the great idea... you really do learn something new every day!

Maria

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

I make all natural, low sugar dog treats, cakes & cup cakes.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? My daugher is a dog trainer and she always likes to make her "graduates" a little treat at the end of their course. Right now she does a couple of cheddar cheese/bacon biscuits in a hand decorated goodie bag. She is VERY particular about what she'll give her own dogs and her students.

Thanks!

ialuce Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:

I make all natural, low sugar dog treats, cakes & cup cakes.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? My daugher is a dog trainer and she always likes to make her "graduates" a little treat at the end of their course. Right now she does a couple of cheddar cheese/bacon biscuits in a hand decorated goodie bag. She is VERY particular about what she'll give her own dogs and her students.

Thanks!

Sure, here is one that is huge favorite carob dipped treats.
She can actually dip anything w/carob. 1 cup of carob chips, 2 tbs of safflower oil, melt in double boiler. Then dip desired treats, place on plate & put in freezer for 10 mins, pull out & bring to room temp before packaging. This helps harden the carob and keeps the carobfrom "fading". To color royal icing, we ground parsley flakes to a powder & add to make green and for red we use beet powder & for orange we use paprika. A little of each powder form goes a long way. Hope this helps.
Take care! Amy

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks so much! I can't wait to share it with her!

AnAngelsKiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnAngelsKiss Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 5:11am
post #15 of 16

I use a powdered coffee creamer. I use half powdered coffee creamer and half powdered sugar to full the sweetness.

AnAngelsKiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnAngelsKiss Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 6:09am
post #16 of 16

Dull the sweetness not full the sweetness. Please excuse that my new keyboard and I are still getting to know each other.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%