Sugarshack Icing Recipe

Decorating By therese379 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm by bonniebakes

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 9

I thought I would break down and make this icing I hear everyone raving about... It has a smooth light taste....BUT leaves your mouth with the shortening film.... Is there any way to use less shortening and more butter ??? would it ruin the recipe... don't want to waste all the ingredients. thanks therese

8 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 9

I use 3 cups hi ratio shortening (did you use hi ratio, it definitely makes a difference over using crisco?) and two cups butter. It still has enough shortening for it to be easy to work with and not too soft. I also use heavy cream rather than coffee creamer. To me it tastes sooo good; rich and smooth. And its just as smooth as with all shortening. The only problem I have is if I need a pure white icing, then I have to use all shortening.

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 9

confectionsofahousewife.... cute name. thanks for the tips, next time I will use hi-ratio shortening, and use more butter.. thanks therese

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 9

Therese,
You will love the hi-ratio shortening--no greasy mouth-feel, even when you use no butter at all. I used to HATE shortening based BC, but this stuff makes all the difference.

Fleur_de_Lis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fleur_de_Lis Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 9

The Hi Ratio is a must with this recipe! I have even tried Crisco and butter mixed and it was not as good. I do also use some butter with the hi ratio at times too.

This is the smoothest most workable recipe I have ever tried. For the flavoring I use 2 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp vanilla extracts.

I am going to have to try the cream tip. Do you heat it first?

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:19am
post #6 of 9

I totally agree with the OP...it left a shortening taste in my mouth, too! But I must say it is the dreamiest icing to work with and I've been trying to find the best of both worlds! I'd like the texture and workability of Sugarshacks BC with the super yummy taste of Indydebi's.

I haven't found an icing that tastes better than Indydebi's. I use SS method of filling the mixer to now allow air inside and it's worked out well for me.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 9

Sugarshack's is the most preferred icing I make...hands down. Picked everytime. I love it too, it is so easy to work with, withstands unbelievable heat and humidity - I love it!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 9

Fleur de lis- I've tried it with crisco too and it was terrible! Amazing how much difference the hiratio makes. I like it fine with just hi ratio and no butter but definitely like it better with butter. And yes, I do heat the cream just like Sharon does in her instructions. I really think the cream lends a great flavor and its so thick I like the texture it gives also. I follow the mixing instructions as written! I really think the keys for this icing are the hi ratio shortening, heating the liquid, and filling the mixer to above the paddle.

Southernswthrt- what is it about indydebis recipe that makes it taste so good? Its an all shortening recipe too right? Just curious icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 9

has anyone tried it with all butter and no shortening? I know it would be much more "fragile" and not do well in hot weather, but.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%