Creme Brule Expert

Lounge By coldtropics Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 2:11am by Loucinda

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone had any success in using a true baked creme brulee as a filling layer. Im not talking about any instant pudding type creation or rebeating and spreading the creme brulee but popping it from the ramekin/pan onto the cake so as to not comprimise the incomperable taste/consistancy of the brulee. I suppose you can simply add gelatin but im worried it may loose some of its integrity and turn into a panna cotta type deal? tia

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 5

You're going to loose the crunch from the crusted sugar on the top as it is...so one of my favorite pars of the brulee would be gone anyways. (it is going to absorb into the cake, I am sure) Let us know if you try it and find out how it works. I LOVE creme brulee (I was fortunate to take a class from H. Handke on creme brulee's - he is a wonderful pastry chef!)

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:47am
post #3 of 5

thanks... i love the crunch as well and i know i'll be missing out on that... was more concerned with the texture/consistancy of the creme than the brulee top.

icon_smile.gif

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 5

The crunch can be done & held for a short period of time. A thicker layer of sugar on top helps... I would not have more than 1 other layer on top as the weight of the other cakes/layers would destroy the consistency... I also would not add gelatin as it wouldn't be creme brulee then but rather a form of pastry cream. I lined the cups for easy removal of the creme & in a 6" size cup to fit the same size cake. It worked well but the cake was put together (with fondant covering) & eaten in 1 day. It was fun & great for same day small event but I wouldn't do it for a larger event.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 5

Thanks cakemom! That would be a wonderful dessert - best of both worlds, cake and creme brulee! icon_biggrin.giftapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%