Buttercream Help!

Decorating By tess7591 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm by tmelrose

tess7591 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tess7591 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

My duaghters wedding is on Sunday and I am making her cake. I found a wonderful Orange Buttercream on cake central, however it uses butter and with the warm weather the demo cake I made the frosting sagged. Other than keeping it in the frigde until right before the cutting how can I keep it from doing this, also how can you make the frosting white when using cream colored butter? Any suggestions would be great and thank you for this web site! icon_cry.gif < well thats what I feel like doing anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 4

you can sub butter for shortening. might need less shortening or more ps, but should still work. shortening will give white bc, but any flavourings you add might change that.

butter wont go true white, but if you beat the heck out of it, it will lighten a lot. you can buy icing whitener as well.
xx

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

I used only to make my icing with shortening but have now added butter. In my batch I've used 3 cups hi ratio shortening and 1 1/2 cups butter. I also use a vanilla/butter flavoring. This holds up in warm weather and it does have a good light buttery taste. Hi Ratio shortening is key in getting a smooth 'tasting' texture, not gritty at all.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 4

tess7591 which orange bc recipe on here is it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%