My Layered Cakes Alway Seem To Bow Out Of The Side...

Decorating By pbgwilliams Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm by JaeRodriguez

pbgwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbgwilliams Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

So I have put a filling and frosting in between the layers and I crum coated and froze it. Then I frosted it with buttercream. It has to sit out in room temp for a day before the event, while this happens it seems to settle sometimes cracks and between the layers bows out. How do you prevent this from happening?? I would LOVE some suggestions. Thank you in advanced.

~Brenda

4 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 5

I would say wait to freeze it or don't freeze at all after you crumb coat it. You need to wait for it to settle.

pbgwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbgwilliams Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 5

How long would you wait for it to settle? A day? That is probably my problem. I always crum coat it and with in a few hours frost it. Bummer!!!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 5

Like SPCC said, the cake needs to settle. I would fill and crumb coat the cake. Stick it in the fridge for a little bit to set up. Then let the cake settle before final frosting. Leahs suggests putting a heavy tile (or I use a book) on top to help this process along. Also, VERY IMPORTANT, do not overfill your cake.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 5

I never fridge or freeze, it always causes bulges, but I'm down in the "armpit of the south", it's very humid, which might be the culprit!

I let it sit out to settle overnight too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%