So I Screwed Up.... :(

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 4:07am by Corrie76

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #31 of 42

Paint chips are a great idea! That way you can probably get in the right "family" if not the exact color. Today's Watermelon could be tomorrow's Apple!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #32 of 42

I have to do a DB Watermelon accented cake for my friend's wedding next month so thanks so much for this post and the suggestions in it! Now I won't have to ask/beg for help in a month! icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:53am
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo76

Because in most people's book , watermelon would be much closer to the colour you made for your cake.

Seriously?! I've never cut open a watermelon and seen baby pink. Watermelon is almost red. If she didn't have a swatch, why wouldn't you just do the color you know watermelons actually look like? The bride is right to complain about the color. I think she deserves a little something back.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #34 of 42

last time ichecked, watermelons are GREEN!!! hahahahahah just kidding, that would be a tough color though. i would start with a good strong pink a touch of orange, and an even tinier touch of brown to soften the pink color.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:58am
post #35 of 42

some watermelon are yellow and some are pink while others are redder

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:18am
post #36 of 42

I think it's a lovely cake, and in the picture anyway it compliments the flower very well. I think had you not said anything, she wouldn't have either. Get the swatch way in advance next time.

If you have to give her something ( I don't really see why, she was late getting the flower to you? wasn't she?) I'd do a free top tier 1 year anniversary cake, and that's all.

When I have something that is a bit off (and I mean minor stuff). I just toss my head back and say. "Well, there's always something a little unexpected with custom cakes, because they are one of a kind. I consider it the birthmark of a great design."

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:54am
post #37 of 42

yes seriously! Watermelon arent uniformly the same colour accross different types. Also when you cut into a watermellon, yes it can be very red towards the centre but it is much paler towards the edge. To avoid confusion, the bride should've provided a swatch. Also I wouldn't say that the OP's frosting was baby pink, it looks more pale orangey pink!

Luffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luffie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #38 of 42

Was the bride trying to make her colours sound creative or unique?

Watermelon should be hollowed out and filled with 40oz of vodka to be slurped into oblivion.

...oooops errrr, I mean watermelon should be sliced and eaten as a refreshing fruit in the summer - it's not a colour for goodness sake.

Beautiful cake btw...there is def no need for any reimbursement IMO

kelleyincolorado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyincolorado Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:54pm
post #39 of 42

It's like a David's Bridal thing... they name the same damn colors something different each year, I swear. I got the whole "watermelon" thing this year as well. I matched the color on the cake to this little swatch she gave and when I got to the venue saw it was a whole different shade of "hot pink".
You matched the flower, you should not owe anything at all.

hausofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hausofcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #40 of 42

Yeah I agree with the majority you matched the flower and it seems like the bride and everyone else loved it. It is a great looking cake anyone would be happy. You did what they asked what more could you do. The colours are beautiful.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:38am
post #41 of 42

I just wanted to say that your cake is gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffie

Watermelon should be hollowed out and filled with 40oz of vodka to be slurped into oblivion.

and ummm.. I SO AGREE WITH THIS !! icon_biggrin.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #42 of 42

Just take this situation as a learning lesson! First of all, when you deliver wedding cakes, or any cake for that matter, it is the best darn cake ever.period.(even if you have to apply duct tape to the mouth of that critical crazy cake decorator inside you!) Never ever ever ever criticize your work in front of the client, ever. Sometimes, your critical remarks can plant seeds in the minds of some people and they start shifting their thoughts from "what an amazing cake!" to "hmmm, the cake lady was right, it's leaning a little..."
Even if it's a royal disaster, keep your mouth shut and see if the customer brings up any flaws first....then if they are visibily upset, openly weeping or balling up their fists, take that as your cue to admit fault and offer some sort of refund. Otherwise, it's "Enjoy your freaking awesome cake that I slaved away at, Party on! Good bye!" and leave immediately before you accidently open mouth and start nit-picking!
As far as a refund, I would offer no more than 10%, or as suggested a freebie small cake in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%