How Would I Alter This?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 5:18am by tonedna

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #1 of 12

How would you alter this recipe to make it a crusting recipe?
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
3 cup poweder sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp heavy cream (must) .

This is THEE best peanut butter frosting, but I want to see if I can somehow keep the flavor/texture but make it crust. Any thoughts?

11 replies
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 12

Indydebi is probably your best bet to answer this question, but my guess would be to add the Dream Whip topping mix that she uses in her crusting recipe. That is my uneducated guess anyway! icon_lol.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #3 of 12

from what i've read on here, crusting is primarily related to the fat vs. sugar ratio. in order to have it crust faster or at all, i believe you want to increase the sugar or decrease the fat. but i don't know what that will do to the taste. if it's too sugary, add a bit of salt for balance.

KayMc Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #4 of 12

Indydeb has already told me that the Dream Whip has nothing to do with crusting, that it's all the fat:sugar ratio. I'm just wondering how much sugar to add, but I guess I'll just start with half a cup of sugar at a time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 12

Crusting *IS* the fat/sugar ratio. My icing uses about 1.3 cups of fat to 2 lbs (about 7 cups) of p.sugar. Counting the peanut butter as part of the fat, the above recipe has about twice the fat and half the sugar. I'm actually surprised its even staying on the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

If you're going to use 2 cups of fat (which is about 1.5 times what I use), I"d recommend 3 lbs of p.sugar (2lbs x 1.5). 2 lbs of p.sugar is about 7 cups, so that would be 7 cups x 1.5 = 10.5 cups of p.sugar.

Start with 2 lbs (about 7 cups) and check the texture. Maybe pipe a border or a rose and see how long it takes to crust. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. If it isn't crusting, then gradually add more sugar until you get the mix you're looking for.

KayMc Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:56am
post #6 of 12

Thanks, Indydeb. That's exactly what I was hoping to get - advice on how much to use. It's no wonder the frosting tastes so good, with all that fat. I'm sure it won't retain the fabulous flavor it has, but 'there's no free lunch'. icon_sad.gif Thanks, again, Deb!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with debi start with 2lbs of ps. My icing recipe has 2c fat to 2lbs of ps and it crusts in 5-10 min.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 12

I have a similar, yet different question.... My bc is a white chocolate, cream cheese, bc.

I use 5 oz of white choc mixed with 2 oz heavy cream, 1 stick of butter, 1.5 cups of shortening (not Crisco), and 2/3 c cream cheese. I added about 2.5 lbs of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of meringue powder. I also added 1/2 pack of powdered Dream Whip and 1/2 pack of white chocolate Jello pudding mix along with 1/2 to 2/3 c of white choc mocha coffee creamer. And, then I use my signature flavoring blend of extracts which just takes the flavor OVER the TOP!!

SOOO, the PROBLEM is this: Not that the bc crusts, because it crusts beautifully. BUT, when I put it into the fridge it becomes like a ROCK!!! Is this normal?? Is there something that I can do that will keep it kind of soft in the fridge OR should I just leave it out of the fridge altogether and just cover it like I do with my Royal Icing?? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Desiree

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 12

foxicakes, why do you refrigerate your cakes to start with? I never refrigerate mine and I intentionally never use perishable fillings that would require refrigeration.

My guess would be the chocolate in your icing. If you melt a Hershey bar, then put it in the refrigerator, it's going to get rock hard again. It's a delicate balance when using chocolate. Which is why "do not refrigerate" would be my advice.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 12

I am with Debbie. I dont refrigerate either..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks ladies!!! And to get answers from two of my FAVORITE cake masters!! Wow, I'm honored!!! I love both of your work! And, Edna, I would not be as far along as I am today without YOUR tutorials. I can't wait for you to do one from design to finish!! I wish SO much that I lived in Florida. I would be at your place all of the time asking to help you work just so I could learn from the best!!

And, I just to clear up, I don't refrigerate the finished cake. Only the icing when I make it a couple of days before decorating. It actually does re-whip quite well. The hardness is really only an issue when I am having a sugar attack and decide to grab a (clean) spoonful to satisfy my sweet tooth. LOL! But, I will definitely just keep it out of the fridge.

Thanks again Debbie and Edna!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #12 of 12

Thanks Foxicakes!.. I can imagine it gets really hard, regular icing gets a bit hard so the chocolate has to make a difference.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%