Flat Topped Cupcakes?

Baking By Lori1203 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 11:37am by Lori1203

Lori1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori1203 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 21

I searched and couldn't find anything so I'm sure I'm doing the search wrong LOL...but......

Does anybody have a secret for baking cupcakes with flat tops instead of a cone/volcano look?

Next week is my 3rd Wilton Course 1 class and we're supposed to take in cupcakes. I'd LOVE to be able to walk in and show off flat topped cupcakes icon_wink.gif

20 replies
nanacakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanacakez Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 21

Cant you just bake them and cut the tops to make them flat, add ganache or cut fondant circles to give them a little extra something.

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 21

I think you just turn the oven down a bit. The reason cupcakes dome is because the outside gets set sooner and then the middle continues to cook and rise up. I would think if you got them to cook more evenly they won't dome as much. Why do you want them to have flat tops?? Just curious(From someone who is on the search for the perfect doming cupcake) icon_smile.gif

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 21

I used wasc from this site, and the majority of my cuppies came out flat. i did get a few to dome. i tried to fill the cups uniformly, 2/3rd full. I would say just keep trying. I am also a newbie, 2nd wilton class is coming up icon_lol.gif to this site, and i'm sure you'll get great/sound advice from all these wonderful cakers!

Lori1203 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyskreations

Why do you want them to have flat tops?? Just curious(From someone who is on the search for the perfect doming cupcake) icon_smile.gif

Just so the icing will sit "flat".

I'm going to try reducing the temp of the oven. I wonder how much I should adjust? Twenty five degrees or 100 degrees. Hmmmmmmmmm....

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 21

Ahhh. OK I would say just 25 degrees. I think that is what I read icon_smile.gif HTH

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 21

I wish I could get a dome! I always get flat tops.

Just goes to prove that the grass is always greener on the other side......

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 21

In the same batch, I often get flat tops, concave tops and domes. And I use an ice cream scoop, so I'm using the same amount of batter for each. Go figure.

LindaF144a Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 21

Wow, I would check your oven or watch to see where the variations happens. It sounds like you are getting uneven heat and may need to rotate the pan.

I wish I took a photo of the batch I made last night. I forget to set the timer for the top oven and had to guestimate. I guessed wrong and they were underbaked. The tops were all concave. The bottom oven I had set the timer and they were perfect. If I had just given the top oven maybe one minutes more, I would have had total perfection. Oh well, frosting hid all the damage!

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 21

Use shortening/margarine NOT butter! Butter is good for volcano effect, shortening keeps the tops flat. Also, don't open the oven door until the cakes are almost done!!!

Lori1203 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrietBakes

Use shortening/margarine NOT butter! Butter is good for volcano effect, shortening keeps the tops flat.

Even if the recipe specifically states butter? And (shhhhhhh) I often use a spit-n-mix and not margarine or butter is added. I guess I'll give the temp adjustment a shot...at least until I've been doing this more than 2 weeks and start making from scratch icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet

Also, don't open the oven door until the cakes are almost done!!!

My mommy trained me very well LOL.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 21

Go to cake journal . com all one word...she has an article on there all about the order in which you mix ingredients that gets whichever end result you are after, either flat or rounded.

HarrietBakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels710

Go to cake journal . com all one word...she has an article on there all about the order in which you mix ingredients that gets whichever end result you are after, either flat or rounded.

Oh interesting!! I will check that out.

LindaF144a Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:

Use shortening/margarine NOT butter! Butter is good for volcano effect, shortening keeps the tops flat. Also, don't open the oven door until the cakes are almost done!!!

I'm sorry. I have to disagree with this. Creamed properly, butter will not contribute to a volcano effect. I use nothing but butter in my cake recipes. I love the taste buttery taste in cake and do not want to use shortening in a cake. It is just my personal preference. I never get a volcano top unless I do other things to promote it happening. Two things I have had success with are leaving the scratch batter out for 20 minutes before baking and raising the temp of the oven to 400 and then reducing to 350 once I put the cupcakes in the oven.

Your recipe can be a factor also. Too much leavening or too little leavening can affect this also. The way you prepare your cake batter (like CakeJournal has written about) will effect, even when you don't do it properly but use the same method.

But shortening being the final answer - no. If it did I would have nothing but volcano tops every time I baked because butter is all I use.

HarrietBakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 21

Well sorry, was just trying to help!

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 21

I've never had scratch cupcakes dome when baking at the temp recommended - always flat. To get a dome, you can up the temperature by 25 degrees, supposedly. When I've used a box mix for class purposes, they always seem to dome. You could try turning the temp down. Or you could try a scratch recipe if you haven't yet. Be sure you are filling them the right amount as well.

Lori1203 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:

I don't see where she meant it offensive...just giving her opinion from her kitchen/experience icon_smile.gif

Lori1203 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

Or you could try a scratch recipe if you haven't yet.

I actually bought 2 cupcakes books from Half Price Books the other day. I'm going to start with the first recipe in one book and work my way (through the ones our kids will eat) to the last recipe in the 2nd book. The first one is Cinnamon and Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin

Be sure you are filling them the right amount as well.

That's an issue. I need to break down and buy a scoop.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:12am
post #19 of 21

It all depends on how much batter you put in the cups. If I want a flat cupcake I only fill it halfway. Also, I use a decorating bag to fill the cups. SOOOOO much easier and zero mess. Plus I can just toss the bags when I'm done....

HarrietBakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:36am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1203

Quote:

I don't see where she meant it offensive...just giving her opinion from her kitchen/experience icon_smile.gif

I know, sorry, bad day icon_redface.gif no excuse, I know icon_sad.gif

Lori1203 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:37am
post #21 of 21
Quote:

I know, sorry, bad day icon_redface.gif no excuse, I know icon_sad.gif

Happens to all of us icon_wink.gif So yep, that makes it an excuse ('cause if it's not that means I can't use it LOL). Hope things have gotten better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%