Silpat Baking Mat

Baking By messy1 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 3:17pm by Writecakes

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:34am
post #1 of 8

I bought my first Silpat mat today planning on using it to roll out my cookie dough on and avoid using additional flour which can make my cookies tough. When I looked at the directions they just talk about using it for the baking of the cookies. I assume that you can roll the dough out on this sheet but my (maybe stupid) question is...which side do I put up? When I put the writing side up it moves around on my counter. When I put the writing down it holds well but the mat has a texture to that side....I know this is not an important question but does anyone use these mats to roll out cookie dough? Thanks.

7 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 8

I have 3 of these and they are amazing. Nothing sticks to them. I roll cookie dough on them, fondant, even bake meats on them. They are a pain to wash and you really need to get the grease off them well.

Regarding which side up: the writing side up (so you can read it). Yes, it leaves an impression so that would be the bottom side of my cookies or fondant that I am rolling out.

You may also consider rolling your cookie dough in between 2 pieces of parchment paper. You won't have to use any extra flour this way either.

messy1 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #3 of 8

I tried the parchment paper once and it slipped all over the counter also. I guess I will have to practice, practice and practice some more. Thanks.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:56am
post #4 of 8

never liked the silpat for cookie dough; great for sticky stuff though

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:21am
post #5 of 8

I use a Sil-pat all the time. I used to have the Roul-pat but wrecked it by pressing too hard with metal cutters.

I love them. I am alot more careful now. I do miss the larger size.

I use both sides(for rolling dough), doesn't matter. I use it on the bottom and wax paper on top. I have never used any flour for rolling.

I rarely bake with them. I only use them for lace type cookies. I use Air-Bake cookie sheets so I don't have a problem with sticking. I use parchment paper when baking messy type cookies like chocolate chip.

messy1 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the great advise. Can't wait for my life to slow down a little bit so I can do some more baking and try it out. The problem is I love to eat the cookies and that is hard on the number on the scales.

mamafox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafox Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8

I roll my cookies out using powder sugar. It keeps the cookies from sticking and doesn't make it too sweet. One of my clients who is almost 80 has made her cookies like that for years and they are amazing! I have not had a problem since using her method.

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 8

I started rolling mine out using powdered sugar too after seing Alton Brown do it on Good Eats. It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%