Why Don't The "big Timers" Use Filling Dams???..

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm by TheBlonde

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Cakers!

I am catching up on my recorded cake shows this early afternoon. Cake Boss, Fab. Cakes, Food Network Cake Chang. etc.

When they go and fill their cakes, they never use a dam to protect the filling from oozing or bulging out. I have seen them use fruit fillings with no dam??? How do they do this and NOT get the bulging issues.

These folks make 3, 4 up to 10 tier cakes not not use a dam????

When I make a ity bitty tiny 10" round 1-tier cake filled with plain ole BC icing and NOT use a dam I have a bulge the size of Texas the next day???

What gives??

Thanks,
Michael

12 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 13

I have seen them use a dam on the Cake Boss show but I cannot speak much about the other shows. If they use a thicker filling (like a medium to almost stiff consistancy buttercream) you can sometimes get away without a dam. It is possible on cake challenges that they may cut corners to save time in assembling the cakes. Just conjecture on my part though - I always use a dam.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

I have seen them use a dam on the show but I cannot speak much about the other shows. If they use a thicker filling (like a medium to almost stiff consistancy buttercream) you can sometimes get away without a dam. It is possible on cake challenges that they may cut corners to save time in assembling the cakes. Just conjecture on my part though - I always use a dam.

Yep I am not sure I have seen a cake on Cake Boss that does not use a dam. It is a pretty thick one as well.

Mikel79 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 13

That's wierd. I played back cake boss and there was no dam used. Maybe it depends on the filling like you folks have said....

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 13

I haven't seen any of the newer episodes this season yet - too much going on so far this summer. I do think it can definately depend on the the type of filling used. It would have to be pretty thick on it's own to not need a dam used. I know for sure in past episodes that I have seen them use a dam with the chocolate fudge filling layered with fresh strawberries that they like to use so often. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 13

Not sure why....but what they are doing must work for them. I think you need a dam if you see the need for one.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 13

And are not the FN Cake Challenges the ones where they have them do some sculpted theme cake? In those instances I am not even sure if there is any filling between most of the layers. Mostly seems stacks of cakes making a dam unnecessary.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 13

I have never dammed a cake in my life, but then I use ganache as my crumb coat - once set, nothing is getting through that stuff!

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 13

Well I'd be damned if I didn't use a dam!!! icon_razz.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 13

I can't believe none of them use SPSicon_smile.gif I've seen a few use damns, mostly with fruit fillings.

Mikel79 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

I have never dammed a cake in my life, but then I use ganache as my crumb coat - once set, nothing is getting through that stuff!

I have seen a few posts about ganache. I am going to have to give this a try!

ErinVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinVA Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:39am
post #12 of 13

what is SPS??

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 13

I have to say that I have never used a dam...I mostly use buttercream as my filling though and don't find a need for a dam. My cakes never buldge

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%