Settleting Cakes & 'old' Fondant?

Decorating By BethLS

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 1

Hello ladies,

I have a couple of questions. icon_smile.gif

I have read here that it is wise to make your fondant a day in advance, and to make sure you crumbcoat and let your cake settle. (overnight being best)

I have never, ever done either, and havent experienced problems, so I just honestly cant figure out why the need to do this?

I almost always bake my cakes two nights before the cakes are due (and wrapped once they're cool enough in double plasitc wrap) and set aside in the pantry. Then the next day (also the day before the due date, usually at night) I will ice and covered and decorate the cake all in one shot. And I almost always make my buttercream and fondant right before decorating...(unless Im exhausted and some detail work goes into the due date day) I have yet to have a problem doing this (am I chancing fate? Lol) with breakage, settleing, ect. In fact, I have a stacked wedding cake (used in a compition) that is sitting beautifully in the garage (aka HOT) waiting for me to think of fun ways to destroy it. And this cake is two weeks old! No BC meltdowns or fondont slippage...

Thanks gals! icon_biggrin.gif Now you all have me worried Im doing a cake 'no no' and I am a disaster waiting to happen! *laughs*

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%