The Everlasting Question- To Thaw Completly Or Not????

Decorating By Rach80 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm by Rach80

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 4

Weel its well on its way! My first wedding cake that is! I've got all the layers baked and wrapped and in the freezer, the icing is made and in the fridge, and the fondant is made-wrapped tight and ready as well. So, when I take the cakes out of the freezer do I let them thaw completely before I crumb coat?

And I did try to flavor the Barvarian cream filling sleeve with pistachio extract, it was the worst thing I have ever tasted!!! Terrible!!!! thumbsdown.gif

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 4

Thaw completely.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 4

Aaawwwww sorry you didn't like the Bavarian. Maybe it was the extract - could you have put in too much?

I'm one who prefers to thaw as completely as possible. I usually will remove cake from fzr the night before needing to work on it - putting it in the frig for a slow thaw.
For those bigger tiers - like a 16"er it doesn't matter if the center might still be well chilled/fzn but I want at least 3=4 inches on the sides thawed.

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both!

I think it was the extract, but I tried 2 different kinds & they both had a horrible flavor! So I then made a pistachio pudding, which tastes a lot like almond!! The bride wants almond buttercream so I'm ditching the pistachio filling and just doing almond buttercream, which I've talked to the bride about and she is completely happy with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%