Icing Flavors

Baking By messy1 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm by kansaslaura

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 14

I am going to branch out and try some new flavors in my cookies. Does everyone use the real stuff or does the artificial extracts work as well? I always buy the real vanilla extract (in the grocery stores) but it is so expensive and was wondering if anyone uses the artificial vanilla extract with just as good results. I have not bought any of the flavorings off the internet yet but have seen several posts about one particular site. Can anyone tell me the site they like to use. Thanks for all your continued help. icon_smile.gif

13 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 14

I use flavorings a lot in my icings. I LOVE the natural flavors from Spices, Etc. There are several posts in threads in the cookie section with information for a discount for first time purchasers from them. They have a great selection and their customer service is wonderful!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 14

I use pure vanilla the most. DO NOT buy it in the grocery store if you can help it. Find a restaurant supply store, it will be much cheaper. Last bottle i bought was right around $20 for a quart.

For the less requested flavors, i would try small bottles of extract. There are also Lorraine candy oils that come in a variety of flavors that can enhance your cookies. They are very small bottles but are very concentrated flavors.

messy1 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 14

Peg818....I had posted a question awhile back asking if the candy oils could be used in the icing for flavoring and got no replies. Are you saying the those flavors can be used in the cookie dough but not the icing? I know there are so many of those flavors and they are not expensive so I thought those would be great for the trial runs. Where do you find restaurant supply stores? I live in a town with just 12,000 people. Thanks.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 14

for a supply store, google is your friend. If you don't know of one locally you can usually find one that way. I don't live in a very large town, but the supply store is less then 5 miles away from me and has a cash and carry outlet (this is important if you don't have a business account)

The Lorraine oils can be used in icing, cookies, candy, you name it. It is trial and error as far as how much to use. My advice is to start out with a small amount and keep going till you get the flavor strength you desire.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:55am
post #6 of 14

Like bonniebakes, I purchase my extracts from Spices, etc. (thank you TracyLH!). The variety of flavors is amazing, and they are all natural. They aren't cheap, but I think they are fairly reasonable, compared with the artificial flavorings I can buy at the grocery store. In the cookie dough, I think the artificial flavorings are okay, but for the icing, I would always go for the natural! No funny after-taste to worry about.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 14

I use the best flavorings I can find. I really like Watkins, there should be a dealer near you, I buy their clear vanilla by the gallon. I don't trust the cheap flavors for anything, They're not going to give you a true flavor and you'll most likely have to end up putting twice as much if not more of the cheap flavorings so the savings goes right out the door.

When you're talking a teaspoon at a time, it's only adding a few pennies to a batch of icing, cookies or cake batter.

IMHO, your best outcome comes with the best products/tools.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 14

I use Watkins. I have a friend who is a rep, and we often trade cookies for vanilla! LOL They're double strength vanilla is, hands down, the best vanilla ever. I love it even more than the real Mexican vanilla a friend brings me from across the border.

Watkins maple flavor isn't the best though. For maple, I use the stuff at the grocery store. What is it? Is it McCormick? yeah, I think so. I love to use NFSC, with 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp of maple.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 14

I haven't tried their maple, I've got McCormicks Maple in a pint size right now, I do a lot of maple glazes for sugar cookies and it's really good.--The only one I'm not impressed with so far is the rootbeer. I do a rootbeer float cake and McCormicks has a better flavor and I use MUCH less.

messy1 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #10 of 14

Kansaslaura...when you say that you buy the clear vanilla by the gallon I assume that it is not the extract but the pure vanilla, is that correct?

kansaslaura Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:21am
post #11 of 14

As far as I know clear vanilla is always imitation, and Watkins is the best I've ever found. I use it only in things I don't want to add any color to.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:35am
post #12 of 14

I use clear vanilla from Spices etc. LOVE IT ! (not perfectly clear but with some Super White, it doesn't matter)

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by verono

I use clear vanilla from Spices etc. LOVE IT ! (not perfectly clear but with some Super White, it doesn't matter)

me too! And I love that it is a natural flavoring! I go through GOBS of it!! IO also find that although it's not pure white, when it's mixed into a whole batch of white icing, the icing still looks white.

kansaslaura Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by verono

me too! And I love that it is a natural flavoring! I go through GOBS of it!! IO also find that although it's not pure white, when it's mixed into a whole batch of white icing, the icing still looks white.

Humm.. learned something new. I (just for the fun of it, really and to give as gifts) make vanilla extract out of vanilla beans and vodka. It always turns dark brown. I'm wondering how they're making this clear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%