Pleasssse Help! Rtk Situation!

Decorating By KerrieD Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 1:11pm by lam159

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:00am
post #1 of 4

I really need to know how far in advance RKT can be made. I made a batch with butter last week for practice (my first time using RKT). The shape came out good enough to use as the real decoration. Can I use this? Is it edible? Or should I make a newer fresh one? When molding, should I packe it together or just gently/lightly mold it?
Is homemade better to use or the pre made?
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! I need to do this tomorrow!!!!

PS I just did a practice run with some leftover RTK. I iced, then covered in fondant. Was a little bumpy so I put a second layer of fondant on which made it better. Is this the correct way?

3 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:09am
post #2 of 4

This is just my opinion - (no science behind it) but I'd say that RKT would be fine for at least a week. I know the RKT that I've bought certainly last longer than a week!! icon_surprised.gif) When I'm molding something, I will really smash it together as tight as I can for stability. Putting a 2nd layer on it won't hurt. Often people will put a layer of candy clay or modeling chocolate and then fondant... it's the same thing.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 4

Hi, I actually don't use any icing after I smash, squish and smooth my figure using Pre-Made RKTs. I mean I really squish it together and it comes out so smooth, enough that I don't have to put a layer of icing before covering with fondant. I also roll my fondant a lil thicker to placfe over my mould. I haven't had a problem with it at all. GOOD LUCK !!

lam159 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lam159 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 4

I actually emailed the company and they said as long as they are in an air-tight container, they should be good for a week.

I tried using the pre-made ones and they didn't seem to work well for me. Maybe I didn't smash and squish long enough. I found it easier to make fresh. I know my kids seemed to enjoy them a lot more! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%