How Far In Advance Can I Bake ?

Baking By iluvpeeks Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 2:16am by Tiffany29

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 13

I'm new making decorated cookies, and I have a few questions. For my newest grandson's christening, my daughter wants me to make decorated cross cookies as favors. I know which recipe I'm going to use. I "practiced" making the cross cookies and decorating them. My question is how far in advance can I bake, decorate, and package? The Christening is on Aug. 21st. I really don't want to freeze the cookies, I'd like to get them out of the way, because I am making 140. Besides cookies, I'm making 100 cup cakes and two cakes. HELP!!!!

12 replies
iluvpeeks Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:31am
post #2 of 13

Anyone?

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 13

could you freeze them uniced? I've done this several times and it works well. just wrap them really well and get them out the day you'd like to decorate and defrost them in the wrap. that should save you some time.
good luck!

iluvpeeks Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 13

Hi Maria
I appreciate you getting back to me. Do you think if I baked and decorated, and packaged this weekend they would be stale for the 21st?
I have so much baking to do for the Christening, I feel that if I at least got the cookies done and out of the way, I wouldn't feel so nervous about getting 2 cakes and 9 dozen cupcakes finished. I know, I think I should just get a gun. icon_confused.gif
Kathy

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:58am
post #5 of 13

hi! I think the 21st should be okay.
some on here have also frozen cupcakes, uniced, to save time. I haven't done that, so I can't tell you if it works well or not. But it's worth looking up to see.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:45am
post #6 of 13

If it were me, I would get the cakes and cupcakes baked. So the baking part is out of the way.
Bake up all the cake and cupcakes and freeze them. After the cupcakes are baked put them in the freezer for about 20 mins before you put them in ziploc bags to keep the tops from sticking to the plastic. They thaw in no time (at most 10-15min).

I would be worried about the cookies going stale, I haven't ever made cookies a week in advance though so maybe someone else can help with that.

iluvpeeks Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 13

Maria Thanks for your reply. I have also heard about freezing cupcakes, so I may give that a try. I still haven't received any answers about the cookies. Thanks for answering.

Tiffany. So I should bake the cupcakes, freeze them, and take them out of the freezer and put in ziploc bags? They'll stay fresh that way? Its still the cookies I'm worrying about. I was planning on baking the cakes on Monday, and freezing them. Thanks for answering.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 13

I have frozen decorated cookies many times. Just make sure to add super white (ithink thats what its called) it stops the colors from going blotchy.

Tiffany29 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Tiffany. So I should bake the cupcakes, freeze them, and take them out of the freezer and put in ziploc bags? They'll stay fresh that way? Its still the cookies I'm worrying about. I was planning on baking the cakes on Monday, and freezing them. Thanks for answering.

Yes they will. Take them out of the bags to thaw. I freeze cakes and cupcakes all the time and never have a problem with them.

Maybe you could search the cookie forum to find some more info on freezing decorated cookies. Anything to make the job a little easier and less stressfull thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:07am
post #10 of 13

I've frozen baked cookies as well as iced cookies successfully.

Great tip on freezing the cupcakes tiffany! Thanks

Tiffany29 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #11 of 13

No problem icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:44am
post #12 of 13

Tiffany do your cupcakes get sticky on the top?

Mine do, AND this last time I had some before they were frozen and they were great, but then after I thawed them some random ones had this tongue numbing salt taste on a piece of the top, it wasn't in the cupcake. Every one of the cupcakes that had it- it was right on the top and only in one spot but EW it was bad. I have no CLUE why that happened!

Tiffany29 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Tiffany do your cupcakes get sticky on the top?

Mine do, AND this last time I had some before they were frozen and they were great, but then after I thawed them some random ones had this tongue numbing salt taste on a piece of the top, it wasn't in the cupcake. Every one of the cupcakes that had it- it was right on the top and only in one spot but EW it was bad. I have no CLUE why that happened!

Sometimes they do. I have never had them taste salt or anything. Not sure what could have caused that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%