Thought Of A Buisness Name, But Not Sure If It Works

Business By CakesIMake Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm by JenniferMI

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 10

So here in Mi we can finally bake goods from home to sell & I can now make up have business cards and advertise somewhat . I've been thinking about name for quite awhile ((boy, is that ever hard)) I was thinking of the name Silvanas Sweets ((Silv-On-ah)) Now the only thing is that I only want to make are cakes & cakepops/balls....nothing else not even cupcakes ((at least for now))... So if I have the word sweets in there does it make you think. that I should definitely have more options other then just the 2 or would Silvana's Sweets be fine? I need help!

9 replies
cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 10

Well when I hear "sweets" I would think that included more than cakes and cakeballs. Among other things I would think that included cookies and candy. However if I went to your site expecting it, so long as it was clear on your site that you only did cakes I would not give you a call. The only thing I can see from including sweets is you may end up fielding a bunch of calls looking for cookies and candies. If you do not want that headache may want to consider another name.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 10

I like it's catchy and sounds kinda sophisticated. It gives you room to grow and doesn't lock you into anything specific...a sweet is a sweet whether it's a cake, cupcake, or cakepop...like you said you don't want to do cupcakes now but who knows what the future holds. Your business may grow so much that you are doing a variety of sweets. Go for it and good luck!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesIMake

I was thinking of the name Silvanas Sweets ((Silv-On-ah))

I assume you included the pronunciation because it's commonly mispronounced. If it bothers you that others will continually say Silvana's Sweets with the wrong pronunciation, you may want to consider a different name to avoid any further confusion or the need to explain the correct way.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesIMake

I was thinking of the name Silvanas Sweets ((Silv-On-ah))

I assume you included the pronunciation because it's commonly mispronounced. If it bothers you that others will continually say Silvana's Sweets with the wrong pronunciation, you may want to consider a different name to avoid any further confusion or the need to explain the correct way.

I agree. If you don't want people to pronounce it 'Sil-VAN-ah' and don't want to continually correct people (which will put off your clientele), then you need to use something less specific. Even if you pronounce it your way when you answer the phone, most people don't pay attention that closely, and you'll still get it mispronounced.

Also, for me, "sweets" indicates candy, not cakes. You don't think of cake as being sweet. Perhaps something relating to the city you live in? Or even your log in here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

SoSasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoSasha Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 10

I definitely think that every piece of advertising, card, paper, whatever it be that says "Silvana's Sweets" should have a line directly under the name describing what you offer, be it "fine cakes and desserts" or "cakes and cakeballs for every occasion". Whatever you decide on I think that the one needs to be with the other- you want potential clients to have what you offer subconsciously drilled into their head! "Well gee Liz, did I hear you say cakeballs. I think there's a card in my wallet for someone who makes those!" Lol. Anyways. Yes I'm in advertising icon_smile.gif

The name itself is lovely, it does have a really nice ring to it; Whether or not it's pronounced "VOH" or "VAN" it is a beautiful word.... I do agree with Cutie-Pie that would have to make peace with the fact that it will probably end up with an American rather than Italian pronunciation half the time.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 10

I like your cakecentral name, "CakesIMake"! icon_lol.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

I like your cakecentral name, "CakesIMake"! icon_lol.gif

Me too! It says it all.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile