Funky Tappits, Lower Case Out Of Stock Everywhere

Decorating By heddahope Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm by cakeglitz

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 22

I have looked at like 5 websites and they are all out of stock. Does anyone know where I can find them?

21 replies
Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 22

I just bought some from www.ahcakedesign.com

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #5 of 22

It looks like you have a few viable options for where to find them, so good luck getting some of your very own.

I happen to have this exact set, but I have a very hard time using them effectively. The fondant or gumpaste always gets stuck in the cutter. I've tried dusting or greasing the cutters, but don't tend to have a lot of luck. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, as they seem to be pretty popular...

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:11am
post #6 of 22

I find letting the rolled out fondant sit for a few minutes before I use the cutters helps a lot. I also dip the cutter in cornstarch first.

heddahope Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:02am
post #7 of 22

Thank You everyone!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:14am
post #8 of 22

I just got mine last week from global sugar art. I'm ordering the upper case and numbers this week and I'm so excited icon_lol.gif

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #9 of 22

I just used my lower case letters for the first time this week and had no trouble at all. I used some tips from Sugarshack. I added some tylose to my fondant and rolled it thin on the pasta machine. Then I let it sit for about 30 minutes to really firm up. I pressed the cutter into the fondant and then tapped it on the table and the letter fell right out. Hope this helps anyone having trouble.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:28am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I find letting the rolled out fondant sit for a few minutes before I use the cutters helps a lot. I also dip the cutter in cornstarch first.

yep. also make sure you roll the fondant pretty thin.
a trick I read to help with putting them on the cake is to put the letters in the freezer for a bit before handling them after they're cut out, otherwise they can be hard to pick up, they get distorted & can stick, very aggravating! But I will continue to use them because they add so much cuteness to cakes! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:30am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarKissesCakery

I just used my lower case letters for the first time this week and had no trouble at all. I used some tips from Sugarshack. I added some tylose to my fondant and rolled it thin on the pasta machine. Then I let it sit for about 30 minutes to really firm up. I pressed the cutter into the fondant and then tapped it on the table and the letter fell right out. Hope this helps anyone having trouble.

Thank you. I actually just got mine out of the package to try them out. I will certainly take your advice thumbs_up.gif

heddahope Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:38am
post #12 of 22

I just ordered the upper and lower case from country kitchen sweet art!!!!!!

I can't wait for them to come in!

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:45am
post #13 of 22

I got the upper and lower case sets on Ebay for a steal. Poor seller got frustrated and gave up, but my gain! I live in 0% humidity Albuquerque, so I can just roll the fondant or 50/50 fondant/gum paste out, cut, and boom - all set! In love with these cutters - especially since my handwriting on cakes is *yech*. Have fun with your set when they arrive!!!

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:47am
post #14 of 22

Okay cool! I'm looking forward to trying these again with the above-mentioned tips! I have a cake for this weekend on which they'll work perfectly!

Thanks!

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:07pm
post #15 of 22

I have the uppercase ones and if I want them a bit thicker (and dont want to destroy the edge of my kitchen table anymore) I dust them and just gently prick the back of the gumpaste with my scalpel. Not pushing through just enough to catch it and gently lift it out. You get a few pin pricks in the back but hey they are going on a cake or whatever we want to look at the front not the back. The edge of my table has taken a beating and is now quite dented from smacking tappits on it. oops!

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 22

Wow, I don't have to tap hard enough to dent the table - just a little tap and the letter falls right out. I think letting the fondant/tylose mix firm up for a while is the trick. It is not as sticky then.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:12pm
post #17 of 22

it could be i'm a little heavy handed ee

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 22

My tip for tappits is to lightly grease a sheet of parchment, roll out your fondant/ gumpaste as thin as you can or use a paster roller so much easier. Cut into strips slightly wider than the tappits letters and let it sit for 30 mins to harden slightly. Cut out all of the letters you need. Peel of the extra paste and then freeze for 15 mins. Easier to handle without distorting.

heddahope Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 22

Got them in time to do my cake for this past weekend, AWESOME shipping!! Here is the cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1774780

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #20 of 22

Where are you in Louisiana? I'm in Lafayette & shop here, they have a pretty good selection. Might save some shipping for you if you're close by:
http://www.targil.com

heddahope Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks, I'm in St. Bernard. I'm gonna check them out!

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #22 of 22

My tip for using tappits is add tylose to the fondant roll it out thin, let it sit for a few minutes and then lay a piece of plastic wrap on top before attempting to cut out the letters. It works like a charm!! Just press down then twist the tappit from side to side to make sure that you have completly cut through the fondant. It really works great!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%