Storing A Wedding Cake

Decorating By babsey Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 9:57pm by elvisb

babsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babsey Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a MMF 3 tier wedding cake and the bride wants to save the top tier for their 1st anniversary. Can it go in the freezer? What instructions should I give for the wrapping of it and the thawing of it in a year. Or should it even be frozen???? Please help!!

3 replies
deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 4

wish I could help. I do know you can freeze cake. I would google it. I am thinking if you put it in the freezer till the icing was stiff you could cover it with several layers of saran wrap. I freeze un-iced cakes (I also freeze bttercream) I just let it sit at room temperature to thaw, although I would probably take saran wrap off of an iced cake so it wouldn't stick.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 4
elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 4

For freezing a bc cake, you stick it in the freezer naked until the icing is set. Then wrap in several layers of saran wrap. Don't pull tight because you can still wreck the decorations even though it's frozen. Then put inside an ice cream bucket and snap the lid on. (I set it in the lid and snap the bucket on.) Then wrap in a Hefty garbage bag. Sounds like overkill, but it works beautifully! To thaw, unwrap completely and set on the counter for a few hours.

I've always been told that your'e not supposed to freeze fondant, and I've never tried it myself, so can't help you out there. If you don't want to take the chance of having it ruined, you could offer to make an anniversary cake fresh a year from now. I've done that a few times for brides who know they'll be moving in the first year and don't want to have to move their cake from one place to another.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%