Who Here Is Self Taught?

Decorating By SweetPatsy Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 10:45pm by jules5000

harveybw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harveybw Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:26am
post #61 of 135

I'm self taught! Started teaching myself about a month ago icon_biggrin.gif I have only made 2 cakes so far and I am halfway through my 3rd but I'm having a blast! Couldn't have done it without all of the generous people on here willing to share their pics, advice and tips icon_biggrin.gif

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #62 of 135

I am completely self taught. I've been decorating 10+ years and I took my first class about 3 weeks ago. Lorraine Mckay wedding couple figurines.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm
post #63 of 135

I am what you will call self taght, but I have learned a lot from youtube and here on cake central. I have been baking since April and I'm getting pretty good thanks to the internet.

MzPinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzPinkie Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm
post #64 of 135

Another one right here! My grandmother was self taught (she along with my grandfather owned a bakery in Santa Barbara, he went to bakery school). I love what I do and I love learning as I go along!!

Cakesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesue Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:35pm
post #65 of 135

I am completely self taught. I learnt from books, and resently youtube and DVD's I have bought. I get a host in inspiration and information from this site. I still make mistakes but learning the hard way teaches you other things by trying to solve them. I love talking cake and learning anything I can.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #66 of 135

Completely self taught here! Trial & Error mostly, then DVD's and Magazines. No such thing as classes in my neck of the woods!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:48pm
post #67 of 135

I'm self taught but would love to take a class from some of the cake masters!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:52pm
post #68 of 135

Iam also self taught and have learned almost everything right here on cakecentral. I took Wilton's course 1 which taught me how to torte and fill a cake and make that tasteless buttercream and one day my instructor mentioned this site and I have been hooked ever since. Absolutely love this site and the people on it, thanks everyone for your patience and wonderful help. I love baking and decorating.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #69 of 135

I am self taught also. I started out wanting to make my kids birthday cakes, because my mom always made mine. I wanted to give them special cakes.
I made the character cakes and moved on from there. I found (actually my dh found) CC about a year ago and I have been hooked on this site ever since. I have learned SO much from here and youtube. I have sat for hours back and forth between this site and youtube trying to learn as much as possible.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #70 of 135

I don't believe I am truly self taught in the technical sense of the word. I have learned everything from this site and numerous tutorials that I have either read or watched mostly on this site as well! I know I am a long ways off where I need to be but I am proud of what I have accomplished but am well aware that I could not have made it this far without all the wonderful talented people willing to share their secrets. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:00am
post #71 of 135

Self taught here. Although I would love to take some advanced classes. I taken a few but they have been too simple for me.
Edna icon_smile.gif

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:43am
post #72 of 135

Self taught all the way. Thank you mostly to all the CC'ers who are so willing to share and help. No business. Just for fun.

Saluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saluna Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #73 of 135

Another self taught person! icon_biggrin.gif I starting doing cakes last August cause I wanted my son to have a awesome birthday cake but didn't want to pay that "awesome" price. LOL. I haven't stopped since. I have a big family so its so much fun to make cakes for everyone. Its amazing how much information is out there about how to do everything. This site is the best thing I've discovered. Youtube is another great one.

I wish I had more times to make cakes sometimes, but I'm a full-time mom, wife and legal assistant. Its crazy to look back at the cakes I was making last August and how far I've come in just a year! Love it! icon_lol.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #74 of 135

I am also entirely self-taught. I have not taken any classes, and I have basically been teaching myself via trial and error, and from youtube/cakecentral.

I always make it a point to try something new every time I decide to make a cake. I've been decorating since July 2009.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:56pm
post #75 of 135

Self taught icon_smile.gif and CCers icon_smile.gif . Finally got the wilton classes taken though but did learn everything I know from trial and error and lots of laughs and tears lol!

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:57pm
post #76 of 135

I am sorta self taught!
My teachers have been our awesome tutorial/DVD ladies icon_smile.gif Edna and Sharon. and tons of other people who post and share online...and all those who answer questions and always try to help,like indydebi,mamawrobbin,jen and many others!
- h

Bethlezia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethlezia Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:01pm
post #77 of 135

I am also totally self-taught. I started to learn about cake decorating few months ago. I have not taken any classes. I have lots to learn and I think I'm hooked.

Carmen500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmen500 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #78 of 135

I am also self-taught, took wilton course 1 and gumpaste. Learn alot from tenedna's tutorials, and from all the wonderful people on this site.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #79 of 135

totally self taught icon_smile.gif (with the help of CC!)

tweetheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweetheart Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #80 of 135

I am new to ths site...I am self taught, and I love it!!! I got into making cakes because I can no longer work, so I needed a hobby

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #81 of 135

self taught (which is obvious from my pics)- I couldnt afford a BD cake for my son one year and decided to make him a baseball field.

I did their cakes for a year or so, and then in May someone asked me to make them a reeces PB cup package- I now sell 3-5 cakes a week, I dont think they are Duff quality- But I have repeat customers, and get told at least 2-3 times a day that someone saw one of my cakes and fell in love with it.

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #82 of 135

I am also self taught along with CC, Dvd/s, books but would love to take some type of classes on diffrent things that I havent mastered yet

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #83 of 135

I am also self taught, with the help of youtube and CC! I would love to take some classes, but there are none available in my area. I've been decorating for about 18months now. I'm hooked! I especially love making and lol eating cupcakes!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #84 of 135

Baking...I'm 100% self taught since the age of 12. Decorating....I've taken the Wilton series of classes at Michael's but other than that, its been CC, Youtube, and books. I am much more a baker than a decorator. I really love making cuppies, cookies, breads, sticky buns, and pies. My cakes taste amazing (not to toot my own horn) but I definately need more practice in the cake decorating department.

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:11am
post #85 of 135

I'm also self taught. I'm 16 and started a little over a year and a half ago.

Mark-Mexicano

halfbaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfbaked Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:24am
post #86 of 135

I'm completely self taught. I figured if someones else can do this...so can I. After a little trial & error...I got it. I started a full fledge cake business just over a year ago and doing well icon_smile.gif

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #87 of 135

Self Taught all the way. But only for about 2 yrs so I still have ALOT of learning to do! Id love to take some classes but would have to drive an hour one way... so I just dont see that happening. I guess Ill just keep figuring it out by trial and error....its more interesting that way anyway, right? icon_wink.gif
One of these days I going to splurge and order Sharon Z's dvds that I want so badly!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #88 of 135

I'm not self taught....but I wanted to applaud all you ladies and gents because I love wondering thru galleries and YOU ALL DO SOME AMAZING WORK!!!!!! I've known bakers in my time that have graduated from some top schools that can't do the work that you all do!!!!

katwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwo Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm
post #89 of 135

I am self teaching myself as well, I have learned so much from this web site, I make the cakes for family and friends (they pay for all the costs) as practice on different technics ans stuff. I will take pictures from here when they want a certain cake and make it something like it but put my own changes on it. I credit ALL the cake decorators on here with being my teachers, and I thank you all for help when I need it. THANKS CC your the best cake site out there.

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #90 of 135

self taught, although I have a lot to learn....only been doing this for 9 months. Love all the work of you all...been browsing through all of you self taught people's galleries....you wouldn't know that you were self taught!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%