Who Here Is Self Taught?

Decorating By SweetPatsy Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 10:45pm by jules5000

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #31 of 135

I was totally in the dark about cakes before Cake Central and Youtube. My husband keeps suggesting I take a class, but why spend the money and travel time (closest class is 50 miles one way) when I can find better info on the internet.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:05pm
post #32 of 135

Self-taught for the most part. Took some wilton classes for the basics. But the bulk of what I know and do, I taught myself thru books, videos or online.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:08pm
post #33 of 135

Self taught, Google, You-Tube & now Cake Central are my sources of information!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm
post #34 of 135

I am self-taught as well. Didn't take any "basic" classes until this year and have been caking since last year. But mostly trial and errors lots of asking questions on CC and watching Youtube videos.. I don't necessarily think that because you don't go to school doesn't make you a good cake baker/decorator. Many of the known cake decorators do not have official schooling. I am proud to tell people I am self taught, it just shows the passion and determination I have for the craft.
Kima

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:13pm
post #35 of 135

I'm self taught, but like others have said, I've learned the majority of what I know right here on CC. I've known the baking basics for years and have always had an interest in decorating, but until I found this site, I really had no idea how far I could actually take it. I'm having so much fun learning all the different techniques. The one thing I know I need to work on is creativity. It's so hard for me to see such amazing cakes and just get inspiration from them without just outright copying. icon_redface.gif

Jusy a hobby for me.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #36 of 135

im self taught and still learning ALOT. CC and you tube, have taught me so much!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm
post #37 of 135

I am completely self taught....with the exception of CC of course! I have always made "different" cakes from when I was about 12....I hated the plain round, everyday cakes. My very first carved cake was a life size naked lady for my brothers 19th birthday. (21 years ago).
When I stumbled upon CC four years ago, my passion for cakes was completely renewed and I've been creating ever since.
Hoping to make it my business!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #38 of 135

self taught all the way, for the past 30 years. "back in my day" that was the only way you learned how to make cakes ..... you looked at the picture and figured it out.

Came to CC and learned more in the short time I've been on here than I ever knew before reading my first CC thread.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #39 of 135

Yup, totally self taught. Except for CC... thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm
post #40 of 135

I'm self-taught for the most part. I worked for a year at a custom cake bakery and learned what I know through observation. I would sometimes help with fondant coloring and rolling cakeballs but I never helped with the actual design and execution of cakes.

Several months after I left I wanted to do a special cake for my sister-in-law so I did a tiffany-box cake with a gum paste bow. I actually did a better bow than the baker/decorators at the bakery had done IMO... and I've been hooked ever since! I've learned so much here and on tutorials. Mostly for friends and family though. I did however, do a groom's cake for someone I didn't know...but who was friends with the son of my best friend. I have no desire to run a business. Having worked at the bakery I got a lot of insight into the pitfalls and tribulations of owning a business like that and really don't want to.

I can relate to all the posts about people who don't want to pay, or pricing and all that stuff primarily because I dealt with it as the 'front' person at the bakery. It was a learning experience and I'm still learning! Thank goodness for CC! icon_biggrin.gif

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #41 of 135

I am... with a whole lot of help from CCers!! Still a long way to go, but I am having so much fun and learning something new every day!! Thanks to all the amazingly talented people here who are so gracious to share their knowledge. thumbs_up.gif

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #42 of 135

I am self-taught also. My cakes are up to caliber with most on this site. But I love it and keep trying. I am learning from library books, utube and this site. It's great if you have a question just log on and ask. There are alot of knowledgeable people who like to help, which is a great resource thumbs_up.gif

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #43 of 135

Yup, self taught here too. I don't have a business but I love decorating cakes and challenging myself each time. Maybe someday I'll feel like my abilities are up to par with the pros and start my own business icon_wink.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:29pm
post #44 of 135

I'm self taught... never had a single class. I read a lot, practiced a lot, browse CC a lot. I have taught a couple of classes though. I remember years ago when I lived in Belize and had a cake shop there, there was this other lady who had a cake shop too. She had all her certificates up on her walls and everything. Yet, she would always call me to take orders or her because she was "so busy" I later found out that she would do that whenever she had a customer who wanted something she couldn't do! She used to ask me a lot of questions too. I used to give her tips from cake pan care to frosting recipes all the time.

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #45 of 135

Completely self taught as well. I've thought about taking some wilton classes for buttercream skills, but haven't yet. With so many videos, forums, etc I haven't felt the need to spend $$$ on classes. Although I am starting to question if I do things the hard way instead of knowing the "inside" stuff icon_smile.gif

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #46 of 135

I am self taught and have been doing this for nearly a year and really love it.
I do wonder though, will I ever be totally happy with a cake I decorate?
The constant worry weather they are good enough drives me mad at times, but it also makes you want to strive to improve.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:10pm
post #47 of 135

Self taught too. It's the only way I learn.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:21pm
post #48 of 135

Self taught too. Would love to take some classes, but none are ever offered in our area. icon_sad.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:33pm
post #49 of 135

If by self taught you mean no culinary school, then I am self taught. I have been baking for years, since Mum let me help in the kitchen when I was little. In terms of decorating, I took a couple of Wilton classes and did a 5 day intensive at Squires Kitchen. All the rest has been trial and error!
I will be opening my bakery in October, woohoo!!!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #50 of 135

I am self taught, no culinary schools or decorating classes. I started by doing the cakes for my two children and it has just advanced from there, thanks to all the people here helping me out when I need ideas or get stuck.

Nikki

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:59pm
post #51 of 135

I guess I'm self taught in that I've never taken any classes, I got my start in cake decorating when I was a bagger at Albertsons, I used to hang out in the bakery and would "hide" in the alcove that was the decorator's area. I watched her and eventually worked up to practicing with icing by making borders and writing on the work table. When I turned 18, I got to transfer to the bakery, first as a clerk but then as a decorator, Everything I learned was from other decorators or just by myself. At Albertsons, we would periodically get a new cake style or a new cake kit, from whatever movie was hot with the kids, and i would have to study the tiny picture from DecoPac kits, and then just figure out how to do it on my own. I did the cake decorating for a long time and feel that the repitition and volume of cakes that I decorated for over 10 years helped improve my skills and technique, but I aso feel that I can never learn enough and am always trying new things that I've seen or read about. Fondant is very new to me and I have so much to learn in that department.
I have no desire to take a Wilton class. I kinda feel like those classes are designed by the Wilton Company to sell more Wilton products and not to really teach new decorators...lol...maybe I'm just jealous though, I think I'd really like to take classes at a legit culinary school, but who has the money?

pvcat2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pvcat2000 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:22pm
post #52 of 135

I am 69 years old and found cake decorating a new start. I met a Wilton instructor in Michaels and she talked me into taking a class. She was teaching fondant and gumpaste. I got 3 lessons from her and was hooked. After that I watched tutorials by Edna and Lorraine MacKay. I wanted to learn piping skills and so took all the Wilton classes. Those classes were a 1 1/2 hour drive away, so 3 hour trip in total. I thank the Lord for providing me a new outlook in life. My sister had passed away and this gave me a new start. I have not done many cakes but love trying. I am so glad to have found this site, for all the information and help you get from all the CC's here.

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:31pm
post #53 of 135

I too am self taught. I've never worked as a decorator, simply as a hobby baker/decorator at home.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #54 of 135

I also qualify as self taught. Always wanted to take the Wilton courses but they never fit in with my life. CC definitely fits in with my time schedule since I can be learning stuff at 2am! LOL! Seriously tho..in the past year on CC I've learned more and increased my art SO much than in the 20 years of decorating before then. If I can't figure out how to do something I search on here first followed up with YouTube and if I still can't figure out how to do it then I just ask here and 9 chances out of 10 someone can tell me!

Cat

cyndiK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndiK Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:12pm
post #55 of 135

I wouldn't go as far as to say I am "self" taught. Thanks to those on CC and other sites that have taken the time out of their day to write and record tutorials=) I have been doing it less than 1 year. Started out as fun with a friend...now I do them for a little pocket $ as well. I'm totally hooked. I love trying new designs and seeing the smile on the cake owners face...it's my favorite part!

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm
post #56 of 135

Well me too icon_smile.gif Sounds like almost everyone is self-taught
I have a small business on the side but work a full time day job as well. Started doing cakes a year ago and don't have that much time to cake at the moment. I've learned a lot from my fellow cakers in a swedish forum and here on CC and on Youtube.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #57 of 135

I am self taught. I have learned a lot here on CC and when I had better internet access I spent hours watching videos on youtube.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #58 of 135

Another self-taught hobbyist here. Learned most of what I do from CC! We're the home-schoolers of cake decorating.

SweetPatsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPatsy Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #59 of 135

Oh my goodness.................I have been looking at your "self taught" pictures I am so amazed...........you girls rock!

hoopb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoopb2 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #60 of 135

I am self taught!!! I haven't put much pics on here... I need too. I am always so impressed with everyone on here!!!! Love this site. I am however headed to school soon to learn more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%