Ideas To Turn Ganache Into Cupcake Frosting...

Baking By KJ62798 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 10:48pm by tesso

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 6

I have some dark chocolate ganache that is thick/truffle texture (used as a filling). I'm making mocha cupcakes for the adults at a MOMS club party and I know I don't have enough choco-BC left to frost them.

What would you add to make a fluffy-BC with the ganache as a starting point?

I have on hand--real butter, half-half, whole milk, white tub Crisco, 2 butter-flavored Crisco sticks, powdered sugar and a tiny bit of Dream Whip powder. (I also have Kahlua and Baileys but since this is a kids party that's probably not appropriate. icon_rolleyes.gif )

The party will be outside but if the weather holds not terribly hot.

TIA.

Kristy

5 replies
Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 6

You could just whip the ganache?
Or mix the two (bc and ganache) together?

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:32am
post #3 of 6

2 ideas:

Personally, I'd probably reheat the ganache, thin it down a little with the half-and-half, chill it well, and whip it. Whipped ganache is one of my favorites! It doesn't like too much heat, though, so this may not be practical.

It looks like you have all the basic BC ingredients already. If you're set on using a chocolate BC or don't have enough ganache to whip & cover them all, make a batch (maybe just a half-batch, depending on how much ganache you have), reheat the ganache, and add it to the BC in place of the cocoa or melted chocolate you'd normally use to make chocolate BC.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

I'd heat some cream, stir it into the ganache, wait for it to set and use it unwhipped. About 1/3 quantity of cream to ganache, I think.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all the ideas. I decided to wing it.

I put my leftover choco BC, ganache, 1 stick of Crisco, some half-half & dream whip + real vanilla extract into my mixer and then beat the stuffing out of it. Started beating in powdered sugar--ended up w/2 lbs worked in. Beat that like crazy.

Result is super fluffy, mousse-like frosting that seriously should be a controlled substance. It's unlikely I will ever duplicate it exactly since I had random quantities of choco-BC and ganache.

icon_lol.gif The mommies will snack well tomorrow.

Kristy

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 6

What you need is my faux-'nache!! Take your ganache and add powder sugar. Then whip it. It does VERY well in heat, and makes a great frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%