Help, Swiss Dots/refridgeration????

Decorating By goodnightelizabeth Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 11:11am by ladyonzlake

goodnightelizabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodnightelizabeth Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:50am
post #1 of 19

Doing a wedding cake with BLACK swiss dots, should I use butter cream or royal icing, do you add piping gel to the frosting before? The cake is red velvet with cream cheese filling, fondant covered......need to do the day before and am worried that it A-needs refridgeration, B-Fondant might sweat once taken to reception, and C- as a result of sweating, the dots might melt/slide. ANY/ALL tips would be greatly appreciated!!

18 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 19

Cream cheese filling needs to be refrigerated unless it is the sleeve filling.

You are correct that condensation would be an issue...it will make the black dots bleed into your white covering.

Not sure what the answer is....unless you can finish the cake up to that point and place the dots on the day of the wedding?

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 19

that's exactly what i would do too icon_razz.gif best of luck!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 19

I'm just curious way you'd design a cake with cream cheese frosting that needs to be refrigerated, decorated with black dots on white icing that is very likely to get damaged if it's refrigerated. One element or the other shouldn't be there.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 19

Here are a couple of options for you.
1. Use chocolate frosting and add black gel color to create black.
2. Add black gel to White Stokes piping gel. If you don't want a translucent look color the piping gel white first and then add the black. This only works with White Stokes brand.

I've used both of these methods and they have worked fine. We refrigerate all of our cakes. Option #2 is my favorite.

Minette

nikinoonie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinoonie Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 19

Does it have to be fondant covered? Maybe you can smooth the cream cheese frosting so that it has the look of fondant? Try the viva towel method...it works well for me. Not completely smooth, but once it crusts, you can put the swiss dots on there and refrigerate the whole cake. HTH, I'm not a professional by any means, but it works for me.

goodnightelizabeth Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #7 of 19

Thanks for all the helpful input! This cake is actually for family, which they had a photo of, and is why all their requests will be attempted to be made. If I didn't have to attend the days events I would do the cake the day of, but timing won't permit! I think I'm going to leave the swiss dots off at first, let it sweat it out, then add later....or not. Definitely going to be a learning experience I can tell. Thanks again!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:59am
post #8 of 19

I will tell you something...I just had a cake in June and made a cake as a gift for my cousin. Bottom tier was white with black scrolls and I didn't have to refrigerate the cake and had it in my mother's very cool air conditioned house...the scrolls STILL bleed icon_sad.gif

so...whatever everyone else said is true...I dunno. I would probably use royal icing now instead of bc because I think it would hold the color better JMO

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:10am
post #9 of 19

Try tinting sugar veil black.

goodnightelizabeth Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:02am
post #10 of 19

Good idea-totally hadn't thought of that angle.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:37am
post #11 of 19

I am totally worried about the same thing for this weekend. I have to do a white chocolate butter cream iced cake with black piping scrolls on it. I have been trying to figure out all the little hints and techniques to help with the black. It is my first black piping cake. I'm so worried about the bleeding possibility. I think I am going to do the chocolate butter cream tinted black. Good luck!

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:09am
post #12 of 19

All 4 show is right - SugarVeil is really tight, and a good non-bleed choice for black dots. And it freezes/refrigerates just fine.

Be sure to color SugarVeil with powdered color when you want black, or any dark or very intense color, then you can 'tweak' it with liquid color. FYI - Any large amount of gel -type color is especially vulnerable to bleeding.

Michele at SugarVeil

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:39am
post #13 of 19

I did this white fondant covered cake with black piping and it did not bleed at all. I did not refrigerate it. I used RI and Americolor gel.
LL

goodnightelizabeth Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:32am
post #14 of 19

For some reason the black dots have paralized my mind...the sugar veil tips seem to be no fail(which I love and need!), after some you tube demos, I am very excited about using this product in the future! I should have raised the distressed flag a bit sooner. I also wish there were a section of all the DON'TS in the buisness-like "don't wait until the week of the cake being due to do something about what you don't know how/what to do!"
Thanks again for the tips,and for posting replies-it's really helped get my mind functioning again! Happy caking!

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #15 of 19

dholdenrn - beautiful cake!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #16 of 19

I have had this happen on my stencils and piping. Red and Black are the worst but it happens even with ivory. I will have to give sugarveil a try. Will it work with stencils?

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 19

Hi Jacqui - yes, SugarVeil works with stencils. The only thing to keep in mind is, because SugarVeil is so white-white and it takes much color to make it dark, to be sure to use powdered color for any dark or intense colors so all of SugarVeil's properties are kept intact. Gel or liquid colors work fine for pastel colors of SugarVeil, though. Thank you - Michele at SugarVeil

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #18 of 19

I've done quite a few black and white cakes this summer, including one I delivered today. It was buttercream with black buttercream piped scrolls. Because of the fillings, it had to be refrigerated. I refrigerate all of my cakes in cardboard boxes because of the tremendous amount of humidity in my commercial refrigerator and I haven't had one problem with bleeding. I've done black royal on white fondant, and still no problem. Maybe keeping in the box helps but I've probably done at least 6 like that this year.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:11am
post #19 of 19

Thanks Tracycakes. For yesterday's cake I completley sealed the box, took my cold cake from the frig. and placed it in the sealed box 2 hours before delivery (delivery was an hour) so it was in the box 3 hours before I took it out at the venue and it did great! I'm hoping this works when the warmer weather comes back next year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%