Wedding Cake Servings Please Help

Decorating By angelina2740 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm by leily

angelina2740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelina2740 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a small wedding cake the bride wants a 2 tiers cake for served 45 people.
I found a serving chart by earlenescakes.com that said that a 10"cake will have 30 servings and a "8 will served 15 wich for this particular cake will be perfect then I found Wiltons chart and said the a 10" round pand will served 38 and a 8" will serve 24 this wilton chart said the size of the cake portion that is 1x2'' but the size of the cake portion of the first chart its not showed.
I confused I not familiar whit this charts and I don't know which guide should I used or what size for this litte cake will be the best, I was thinking in a 8x10" or 10x6" I'm not sure I need help pleaseeeeee.
I will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

8 replies
dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:35am
post #2 of 9

err on the side of more cake, it's only 2" and not much batter, i would do the larger top tier, unless you need more of a ledge aroung the cake bases for decorations

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:47am
post #3 of 9

i go by the wilton chart which is a 1"x2"x4" high tier. normally these are the servings for weddings...so it would depend on who is cutting the cake if you would want to do more or less.

HTH

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:29am
post #4 of 9

I agree, 14-10-6, you can also throw in a grooms cake..12in. if your worried and it could be a fun cake. I find that not everyone eats cake. There is always much left over. The main cake would be plenty I'm sure, thats if bride doesn't want the top. Would be 175 serv. w/grooms, less 6" Bride tier.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:32am
post #5 of 9

One thing to consider--if you sell cakes, you'll be baking more cake if using Earlene's chart for the same amount of money per serving compared to the Wilton chart, so essentially, you're giving away the "extra" servings for free. Of course, if you aren't selling cakes but rather giving it away for free (since you are required to have a licensed commercial kitchen in Texas), it doesn't much matter if you're making the larger serving cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:34am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

I agree, 14-10-6, you can also throw in a grooms cake..12in. if your worried and it could be a fun cake. I find that not everyone eats cake. There is always much left over. The main cake would be plenty I'm sure, thats if bride doesn't want the top. Would be 175 serv. w/grooms, less 6" Bride tier.

I think this was meant for another post... this one is for 45 servings.

angelina2740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelina2740 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 9

I sell my cakes and I licensed and I rent a comercial kitchen, I used 3' deep pans so I think the Wilton chart will be the best I can't afford give away extra cake I already charging $2.25 a serving since she just one buttercream and no fondant.

So I thinking that a 10x6" will be good is 50 servings this way she has 5 extra servings in case is no a profesional catered who is going to cut the cake.
If someone have a better idea is more then welcome to share it.

Thanks everybody for you responds I appreciate I'm pretty new in the business trying to do my best.

Thanks so much.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 9

You can make a copy of the Wilton cutting chart and give it to the customer. They can give it to the person who will be cutting the cake. This way the person will understand and see how to cut the cake, to get the right amount of servings. HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1

You can make a copy of the Wilton cutting chart and give it to the customer. They can give it to the person who will be cutting the cake. This way the person will understand and see how to cut the cake, to get the right amount of servings. HTH

I don't recommend wilton's chart since they have people cut in cirlces. I HIGHLY suggest sending a copy of Indydebi's cutting instructions instead. THey are much easier to understand and work for any size or shape cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%