Fresh Fruit In Buttercream

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm by deedee1120

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:59am
post #1 of 11

I did cupcakes for a bridal shower on Friday and the coordinator asked for fresh strawberries to be added to the buttercream. I added the strawberries to the buttercream and then packed everything up to go to the venue to frost the cupcakes. When I got there and went to frost the cupcakes the stawberries had appearantly bled into the buttercream and the consistency of the buttercream had changed 100%...the buttercream was really thin and I couldn't pipe the rosettes. The flavor of the buttercream was great but the consistency was terrible. How do you add fresh fruit to buttercream so that it doesn't change the consistency of the buttercream? Thanks in advance for any help!!

10 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 11

You'll probably get a bunch of different answers, but I puree the fruit and add it to the icing before I add my liquid. That way I'm sure to get the consistency I want.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 11

Here's a recipe for a strawberry cream cheese I've tried.
8 oz. room temp. cream cheese
4 T. room temp. butter
1 T. strawberry puree
4 1/2 c. powdered sugar, sifted

This recipe comes from the new "cake mix doctor book". I found your question interesting because I had made her frosting out of her old book which called for 3/4 c. strawberries. Boy. was it weepy. A big puddle right in the middle of my cake. She had to admit in the new book(pg. 33) that she had to "adjust" the recipe. The new one is much better, but if you want more strawberry flavor maybe you could add some LorAnn's Strawberry or strawberry estract.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 11

'Extract", wow I can't spell and it really isn't all that late in the evening.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #5 of 11

Preserves work well mixed in buttercream. thumbs_up.gif

pastryqueen9 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all for your responses. I have used pureed fruit and prserves in buttercream and cream cheese frosting before, infact that is the way usually do it. This bride was perfectly clear that she wanted fresh strawberries chopped and put into the buttercream. I was just wondering if there is a way to do this without changing the consistency of the buttercream so I would know for the future. She was so insistent on having the fresh strawberries folded in the buttercream and I had never done it before I didnt know what would happen, now that I know I can explain that to a client beforehand...it was such a mess!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 11

Just be aware that when sugar hits fresh fruit it begins to macerate which causes it to release juice. Try it on fresh strawberries. Cut them up and sprinkle a little sugar on them. Within an hour you have soft strawberry soup.

Not that this can't be done. It's done all the time. But be aware of this reaction and proceed accordingly.

SoSasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoSasha Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 11

Hmm, I haven't tried this for buttercream specifically, but what I usually do when using fresh fruit in general is "prep" the pieces to dispose of extra liquid.

Dice the fruit and toss it with a couple tbsp of sugar and let it sit in a colander for an hour or so, set over a bowl. Most of that extra liquid that messed up your perfect buttercream will drain away. The additional liquid could even be "blotted" away.

You could then fold them in and it will definitely help the texture issue.

cfp8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfp8 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, I haven't tried this for buttercream specifically, but what I usually do when using fresh fruit in general is "prep" the pieces to dispose of extra liquid.

Dice the fruit and toss it with a couple tbsp of sugar and let it sit in a colander for an hour or so, set over a bowl. Most of that extra liquid that messed up your perfect buttercream will drain away. The additional liquid could even be "blotted" away.

You could then fold them in and it will definitely help the texture issue.

This sounds like a great tip! I'm going to try this for my next buttercream. Thanks!

pastryqueen9 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 11

Wow Sosasha that is a great tip!!! I never thought about doing that but it makes so much since! Thanks!!!

deedee1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee1120 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 11

This weekend I added some strawberry preserves (about 1.5 tbsp) to my cream cheese buttercream that I had on hand, and it was a complete mess. It was so runny, but I had to use it because I had no other filling to use. Good thing I was making it for family!

I won't do that next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%