Sheet Cakes

Decorating By vwolf Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 10:22am by MadMillie

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #1 of 11

This may sound silly, but when you do sheet cakes, do you do them as one layer or two layers with buttercream in the middle? icon_confused.gif

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 11

In my area, a sheet cake is defined as "single layer (usually rectangle), no filling, iced".

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 11

Thanks! That's kinda what I thought too, I notice some to the Wilton cakes in their books appear to be two layers. A friend has asked to to do one for a wedding shower and I wasn't sure if I should make it one layer or two. By the way you are not too far from me, I am 21 mi west of Cincinnati. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:59am
post #4 of 11

practically neighbors! icon_biggrin.gif

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 11

I have seen both. One layer sheet cakes or for more to have them torted and filling added. I love fillings so whenever I ordered one in the past I went that route.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #6 of 11

icon_rolleyes.gif Unfortunately I live in 'sheet cake country', rofl......I mainly have done them 1 layer.......I try to talk the client into double layers....I had a 3 tiered wedding cake this weekend...and I LOVED DOING IT. icon_biggrin.gif It was such a welcome change. icon_lol.gif

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:43am
post #7 of 11

Indydebi or someone, could you please tell me what a standard, half and quarter sheet sizes are? Do you use a 2, 3 or 4 inch? My searches show mixed results. Thanks.

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 11

I always understood a sheet cake to be one layer with frosting, but no filling. If two layers were needed more money is charged for the additonal cake.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #9 of 11

It depends on what the customer wants. Most of the time it's one 'solid' piece of cake, but I do have customers who love them filled.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

Indydebi or someone, could you please tell me what a standard, half and quarter sheet sizes are? Do you use a 2, 3 or 4 inch? My searches show mixed results. Thanks.

9x13x2 is a "quarter sheet" and serves 24 (2x2x2 serving)
12x18x2 is a "half sheet" and serves 54 (2x2x2 serving)

A two layer cake, 4" tall" is usually what people call a kitchen cake, which will serve twice as many (1x2x4 serving) as the single layer

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:22am
post #11 of 11

Thanks SugarFrosted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%