How Do You Make Dark Black Fondant And Bc

Decorating By vanessaa79 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 6:28am by sweettreat101

vanessaa79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanessaa79 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 5

I find it takes way to long to get deep black and brown when using bc icing and marsh mellow fondant. Does anyone have any good tricks on how to do it
Thanks

4 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, with fondant I'll buy some black when I need it. With buttercream, I start with chocolate buttercream and add the needed color. It is much easier than trying to get regular buttercream that dark.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

For dark chocolate buttercream, I make Indydebi's bc recipe and then add 6 to 8 ounces of Baker's UNsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled to room temperature. You also have to added extra milk because the chocolate thickens the buttercream.

This makes a very rich and very dark chocolate buttercream. I can eat it straight out of the bowl....yummy thumbs_up.gif It doesn't take much black to make this bc very dark.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 5

To get black, I start with chocolate icing and fondant. I use the dutch process cocoa to get a dark chocolate color though. It's the same cocoa they use to make oreos. It's almost black so I don't have to add much food coloring.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:28am
post #5 of 5

Start by coloring your frosting and fondant brown then add the black. If possible I use chocolate frosting or chocolate fondant and add black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%