Red Velvet

Baking By Megabot Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm by deMuralist

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:57am
post #1 of 6

Ok so I'm having some trouble finding a really good red velvet recipe, I've been using the Sarah's Red Velvet Cake recipe from here and its pretty good but I'm wondering what other recipes people use that they love. Also I made a cream cheese frosting but it felt like it overpowered the cake. Any favorite frostings to go with the red velvet cake? Thanks!

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:24am
post #2 of 6

I can't help with the RV recipe as i use one really similiar to Sarah's red velvet. But for icing, my favorite by far is a cooked icing. There is a recipe on here that is called Mary Kay icing, that's what i use and recommend most of the time.

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:44am
post #3 of 6

I have the RV recipe from Bakerella, there is also the recipe availble from Cakeman Raven I haven't tried that one but alot of people love it!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 6

I recently made Cakeman Raven's recipe (it's the same recipe as Paula Dean's RV cupcakes)
I increased the buttermilk to 1 1/2c.
and decreased the oil to 1c. (1 1/2c oil seems like way too much to me, so does 1c, but it worked for me)
I also only used 1oz of food coloring and it was really red.

I use the traditional RV cake frosting (Mary Kay).

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 6

Can't really help with the recipe but wanted to say that I also use the cooked icing for my Red Velvet cake. In my opinion it compliments the cake better.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 6

I use Cake Man Raven's but use 2T of cocoa instead of 2tsp. Can't help with the icing as I use these for cake balls but rarely make it as a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%