Probably Not A Good Idea But...

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm by shelbymama

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:20am
post #1 of 25

I sent my husband to Wal Mart for some supplies I had run out of (bad idea icon_razz.gif ) Included in this list were those plastic tube dowels for a wedding cake that I am working on due tomorrow... well... he came home with POPSICLE STICKS!!! Grrrr... lol Will these work??? He said they were all out of everything so he thought those might work but i'm not sure icon_sad.gif

What do you think?

24 replies
cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:30am
post #2 of 25

I wouldn't chance it....especially if it's a larger cake. I know a lot of people on here use the bubble tea straws. If you can't find those, I have heard that the McD's straws work well too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #3 of 25

No, I don't think they'll work. They won't even be as sturdy as wooden dowels would be.

Sounds like you'll have to go to a different Walmart in the morning. Or if it can't wait until then, what part of town are you in? I just looked in my supply drawer and I have a package and a half of those white plastic dowels. I'm on the far SW side of town by Lackland though.

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:41am
post #4 of 25

Texas-rose.. you are so sweet! I am in Converse on the other side of town. I did find those really thick wooden dowels in my drawer but I don't think I have enough. I don't see how those little tea straws would work but these round popsicle sticks wont.. hmm.. maybe I don't fully understand the support system

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:51am
post #5 of 25

What kind of popsicle sticks do you mean? I'm thinking something like this http://www.pointsincase.com/blog/uploaded_images/popsicle_sticks-702207.jpg

And I don't think those would work.

Bamboo skewers don't work either. I haven't tried bubble tea straws...my sister said there's a bubble tea place somewhere near Rolling Oaks. She brought me a straw once so I could see what they were like, and they were sturdier than regular straws and thicker in diameter.

Walmart's open all night icon_biggrin.gif There's one at 1604 and Nacodoches, one on Austin Highway, one at 35N and 3009 I think (by Garden Ridge)...you might just have to try another Walmart. The one at 1604 and 281 has a really small cake decorating section.

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:18am
post #6 of 25

No it's not that kind it's the white wilton one's

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310639-475A-BAC0-577408851CD5C5D9&fid=59E18783-475A-BAC0-5CE37048D279FBF5

I don't have to deliver the cake until 3 tomorrow so i'm thinking I will just get up early and finish the cake... it just erally makes me nervous to do that God forbid anything go wrong and there is a lot of piping on this cake so I would hate to think I had enough time and be late

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:37am
post #7 of 25

Every time my husband and I get Chinese take-put, we always ask for chopsticks. They are great! Clean, easy to cut and strong for supporting additional tiers. And they always seem to come in handy when I'm working with gumpaste.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:48am
post #8 of 25

If they're paper, they won't work...they absorb moisture from the cake and then get soft. The plastic ones might work but you would need to use a lot, and make sure your customer knows how many are in each tier so they can be sure they can get them all out.

Mostly what makes the hollow plastic dowels so sturdy is how wide they are...think of it like shoes, what's easier to walk on, a spike heel or a thicker heel?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:54am
post #9 of 25

TexasRose is right...that will absorb all the moisture and you would have a disaster on your hands.

I use regular straws all the time! but that's because I stack my cakes on site.

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:55am
post #10 of 25

Definitely true.. I think i'm going to just wait until tomorrow and go to AGS ... i'm sure their missing me about now, it's been 2 days since I last went it icon_wink.gif lol

Do you shop there?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:01am
post #11 of 25

what is AGS?

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:09am
post #12 of 25

It is a cake supply store here in San Antonio.. I just love that place!

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:12am
post #13 of 25

I have regular straws... would it not be a good idea that I stack my cakes at home if i'm using them?

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:16am
post #14 of 25

I used to live right down the street from AGS and I went there pretty often...but I haven't had any cakes to do since we moved, nothing big anyhow, and I haven't had much excuse for going there. I had a lot of friends I'd bake for in the apartments we lived in, but don't really know anyone around here yet. I also have tons of cake equipment in boxes in the garage so I told myself I can't buy more stuff until I see what all I have already. Last year I was on some serious meds for a good portion of the year and I was still shopping for cake tools the whole time, so I have some things I don't even remember owning.

We moved out to the edge of town because we wanted a new house and the new houses out here were cheaper than the ones being built in lots of other parts of town...but when we lived at 281 and Bitters I was near everything and everyone, it seems like. I only lived 10 minutes from my mom then, and I could walk to Target and the kids' school was across the street, and AGS was only 10 minutes away.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:17am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlow001

I have regular straws... would it not be a good idea that I stack my cakes at home if i'm using them?

How big is your cake?

I've only used regular straws once, and it was a small cake...4", 6" and 8" tiers, and I did have a slight disaster...went over a speed hump and the straws in the bottom tier buckled.

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:21am
post #16 of 25

I go there all the time! My husband gets nervous when I go icon_wink.gif lol

We did the same thing, we bought a house in converse because you get more for your money out here. We bought a really nice brand new 3/2 1/2 bath that in town would normally have cost over $200,000 for only $150,000 .. it's just crazy how much they charge to be in town, I kinda like being away from all the traffic icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:34am
post #17 of 25

We're actually outside city limits, which means if I have to call the cops for something, it's the county deputies who come out, and they take about 20 minutes. I had someone trying to get in my house a few months back and the deputies took forever. Then they took one person away but we didn't realize the other was in my back yard until an hour later. We've been joking that we need to dial 9mm instead of 911 when something happens out here icon_biggrin.gif My husband works overnight so it's just me and the kids. The county deputies have a real attitude too, at least the ones I've encountered so far.

Other than that, it is nice living where we don't hear traffic and sirens all night long. It seems like it's not as hot here either...maybe more trees and less concrete everywhere makes it cooler.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlow001

You can use regular straws if they are as large as the McDonald's straws. I've done it, but they should be as large at least as those. I wouldn't trust a smaller straw.

I use the milkshake straws exclusively and they look just like McDonald's straws. I deliver all of my cakes stacked. I delivered a 12/9/6 inch cake yesterday completely assembled and I used milkshake straws for supports. In my opinion the straws are more stable than dowels as the straws 'fill up' with cake when they are inserted and the dowels 'displace' cake when inserted. I have never had any structural problems from using straws.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #19 of 25

I used straws once....Stacked at home on kitchen table, never moved the cake and had them buckle on the bottom tier....I will never use them again!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by didavista

I used straws once....Stacked at home on kitchen table, never moved the cake and had them buckle on the bottom tier....I will never use them again!

That's odd....I've delivered probably 75 tiered cakes using straws without as much as one slipping. icon_confused.gif This is why I use only a wide straw....not skinny ones. Wouldn't trust them for sure. thumbs_up.gif

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #21 of 25

I ended up finding some wooden dowels that I used and it's really sturdy icon_smile.gif I'm finishing up the piiping then delivery time!

Thank you ladies for everything!

shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #22 of 25

Where is AGS? We go to San Antonio every once in a while and I would like to check it out!

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbymama

Where is AGS? We go to San Antonio every once in a while and I would like to check it out!

AGS has two locations, one at Blanco and 1604, the other at Blanco and 410. The one at Blanco and 1604 is in the plaza center with the Starbucks (you'll have a hard time finding it, so look for the Starbucks). The larger store at 410 and Blanco is in the plaza center with Target (what used to be Central Park Mall), closer to Blanco than to San Pedro.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 25

STOP!

You're making me miss living in SA!!!!!!!

I want REAL tex-mex!!!!!

shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #25 of 25

Thank you Texas Rose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%