Cake Recipes For Cupcakes?

Baking By zespri Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 5:36am by sweetheart6710

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:50am
post #1 of 5

is it OK to use cake recipes for cupcakes, or must you alter the recipes?

I have yet to find a cupcake recipe I like, none of them taste like anything much. But I have lots of nice cake recipes. Will they work?

4 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:10am
post #2 of 5

I always use cake recipes for cupcakes. I've never had a problem. But I've read a couple recipes that said that they didn't make good cupcakes and i always wondered why.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 5

I find that cake recipes that are are high in the fat compared to the flour don't rise well. In fact they sink in the center.

This by weight, not volume.

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:39am
post #4 of 5

A lot of my cake reciepies are way too dense for cupcakes

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:36am
post #5 of 5

I just read somewhere else that if you bake cupcakes (from scratch) at a higher temp, they dome perfectly (like 375). The specific tread was talking about using the WASC recipe (which most cupcakers were having trouble with sinking) at a higher temp so the cupcakes puff. Maybe that will make them more fluffy (less dense)?? I haven't tried it yet, and I'm no baking scientist, haha. But I think I'm going to whip up my favorite choc cake recipe, that usually gives me sinking problems, and see what I find. Can't hurt experiementing, right? And my DH loves the mess ups. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%