8.6.10 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm by catlharper

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:36am
post #31 of 46

Popping in for first time on Friday night cake club, ROFL ... just working on a 2 tier birthday cake, that's all. Using Jennifer Dontz's fondant for first time ... haven't gotten to the covering part yet.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:54am
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Late night hello!

I made a cake today to take to dinner w/my sorority sisters--it's a reunion weekend for our chapter. It was a hit and our 2 servers nabbed the last piece. icon_lol.gif

Baking again tomorrow for my hubby's pilot group. It's their monthly meeting on Sunday. Trying to come up w/something super simple w/an aviation theme. Not really the sort of group that will appreciate elaborate decorations.

Kristy

actually, i don't think that last part about the pilot group to be true! The would probably marvel in some very precise detailed design icon_biggrin.gif i found that when I made my recent Air Force Uniform cake the recipient couldn't get over the detail I had on the buttons and his ribbons

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:05am
post #33 of 46

I have a six tier (all dummies) wedding cake 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 and 28", with a real section on the lowest tier, and 475 servings of real cake to go back into the kitchen. Top of cake has a big fondant bow sprayed a beautiful metalic gold. Cake is all ivory, white and gold. A 2 tier , sports themed groomscake with four dozen tuxedo strawberries, and two birthdays for tomorrow. Everything is finished except the berries, which I will do just prior to delivery. This was actually a very light easy weekend. Now I just have to put up with a 95 degree day tomorrow!

The dummy wedding cakes with real cake in the kitchen seems to be a growing trend in our area. I do them all the time.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:14am
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:

Late night hello!

I made a cake today to take to dinner w/my sorority sisters--it's a reunion weekend for our chapter. It was a hit and our 2 servers nabbed the last piece. icon_lol.gif

Baking again tomorrow for my hubby's pilot group. It's their monthly meeting on Sunday. Trying to come up w/something super simple w/an aviation theme. Not really the sort of group that will appreciate elaborate decorations.

Kristy

actually, i don't think that last part about the pilot group to be true! The would probably marvel in some very precise detailed design icon_biggrin.gif i found that when I made my recent Air Force Uniform cake the recipient couldn't get over the detail I had on the buttons and his ribbons

This is for his private pilots' group. I think they will mostly be shocked/happy to have someone bring any sort of cake to the meeting.

I'm probably doing a 2-layer 10in round. Pale blue maybe some clouds and a fondant cut-out airplane.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:25am
post #35 of 46

Hi just a pop in to the Friday night cake club. I never seem to get in here!!! love the topics though.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:22am
post #36 of 46

No cakes for me tonight, but I'm working on a quilted table runner for my friend's wedding gift. The wedding is at 1 PM--only twelve hours from now! I think I have about an hour and a half worth of sewing left, then I can go to bed and sleep in, in the morning.

--Piano Diva

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:35am
post #37 of 46

[quote="cheatize"]Tonight, I'm eating instead of decorating. Red velvet with cream cheese icing.

Leah, how far are you from Cincy time-wise?[/quote]

We generally say 2 hours to allow for traffic and allowing for hitting the city center or having to go around to the North end.

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:37am
post #38 of 46

[quote="lorieleann"]
??? on the SPS? does the cake go into the tubes, or is it displaced into the rest of the cake? Should I cut the fondant (dark chocolate ) before i push it in?[/quote]

Yes, cake goes inside the legs, and yes, I do cut an X in the fondant so the legs go into the cake easier.

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:42am
post #39 of 46

[quote="KJ62798"]I made a cake today to take to dinner w/my sorority sisters--it's a reunion weekend for our chapter. It was a hit and our 2 servers nabbed the last piece. icon_lol.gif
Kristy[/quote]

KJ, what sorority? I'm ZTA.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:

Kristy

KJ, what sorority? I'm ZTA.

Kappa Alpha Theta.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:43pm
post #41 of 46

my SPS legs went in very well. (how scary is doing that first PUSH icon_eek.gif ) and I didn't have any problems with the fondant. (i hardly had to work the dark choco SI--seems like a completely different product than the white. That and I had 5/1 mixture of fondariffic chocolate in there. Long story: i wanted a darker chocolate than the fondariffic chocolate came in)

ready to box and go!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:47pm
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramacake

I have a six tier (all dummies) wedding cake 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 and 28", with a real section on the lowest tier, and 475 servings of real cake to go back into the kitchen. Top of cake has a big fondant bow sprayed a beautiful metalic gold. Cake is all ivory, white and gold. A 2 tier , sports themed groomscake with four dozen tuxedo strawberries, and two birthdays for tomorrow. Everything is finished except the berries, which I will do just prior to delivery. This was actually a very light easy weekend. Now I just have to put up with a 95 degree day tomorrow!

The dummy wedding cakes with real cake in the kitchen seems to be a growing trend in our area. I do them all the time.

Holy Cow..I'm tired just reading this! Good for you that you got it all done! I know lots of people bake this much but I'm still a part timer and that would have killed me! LOL!

Curious...why did the bride choose to only do one real tier and have the rest fake with sheet cakes for service? It couldn't have saved her any money and probably cost her more, right? Curiousity...you know..I am a Cat...LOL!

Cat

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #43 of 46

I'm guessing she wanted a section of "real" cake for the cutting of the cake pics and feeding it to each other. Just my two-cents. icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:27am
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Tonight, I'm eating instead of decorating. Red velvet with cream cheese icing.

Leah, how far are you from Cincy time-wise?

We generally say 2 hours to allow for traffic and allowing for hitting the city center or having to go around to the North end.

That was my guess. We're heading to Cincy for an overnight play date away from the college kids loafing in the house and I wondered if I could talk hubby into driving a couple of hours to you for a second night away. However, plans have changed, once again. It looks like it will be just Cincy. Thanks for letting me know!

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:53am
post #45 of 46

Is SO excited! My partner and I who have been decorating cakes just shy of 1 year entered our first competition today and we both won first in our category and I also won overall best in show in my division! I can't wait to do another one!!!!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #46 of 46

YEA!! Congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%