How Do I Make Tiny Tiny Circles

Decorating By michgowell Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm by Minstrelmiss

michgowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michgowell Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 16

I am making a minnie mouse about 4/5" tall and her dress has polka dots so I need to make small ones. any advice? cutting them by hand may be all I have time for, but it will be extremely time consuming getting them to look "perfect." do they make tiny tiny cutters???

thanks!

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 16

Look around your kitchen and find lids on bottles etc..I have several sizes of round circle all of which I found in my house.

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:09am
post #3 of 16

I use my icing tips to cut small circles...12 is a nice size but even 8 or 10 would work if you have something small to poke them out with.

michgowell Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 16

Of course, icing tips is GENIUS!!!!!!! thank you, thank you, thank you! lids is a great idea too, I just don't have anything that small.

fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 16

Sometimes I use a pen lid and I've seen someone use a straw and simply blow the icing out from the other end. And yes also icing nozzels.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishabel

Sometimes I use a pen lid and I've seen someone use a straw and simply blow the icing out from the other end. And yes also icing nozzels.

Love it !!! icon_smile.gif

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 16

The icing tips are best. I starch the fondant and use the bismark (sp?) tip (or any tip) and cut out a lot. They can "build" inside and then I let them out and start again. HTH

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 16

Icing tips are great, cut straws work too.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

I use my icing tips to cut small circles...12 is a nice size but even 8 or 10 would work if you have something small to poke them out with.

That's what I use the most. Straws also work. I cut the straw really short so it's easier to get the little circle out.

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:51am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgowell

Of course, icing tips is GENIUS!!!!!!! thank you, thank you, thank you! lids is a great idea too, I just don't have anything that small.

Glad I could offer a good tip. Although I wish I could have all the cake stuff I can get my hands on, that turns this into a pretty expensive hobby really fast, so I like to improvise.

judyj2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyj2 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:53am
post #11 of 16

Another option would be to paint the dots on using straight black gel and the pointy end of your paintbrush. Just touch the end in the paint and then just lightly touch the fondant. You should end up with a perfect dot. Reload with each dot.

michgowell Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 16

I paint a lot onto fondant, but these dots are white. Do they even make white dye???

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:16am
post #13 of 16

I use cut straws all the time or icing tips.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:23am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgowell

I paint a lot onto fondant, but these dots are white. Do they even make white dye???

They make white icing color. It's a bigger bottle than the little wilton tubs. It always leaks, so keep it in a bag icon_biggrin.gif You can't mix it with vodka or it breaks down into messy chunks.

These dots were painted with white icing color.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

It always leaks, so keep it in a bag

I happily chunked that mess in favor of Americolor white. No leaking!

FYI - Don't try to dispose of excess white color down the sink if you have a garbage disposal. Took 2 years for the stain on the rubber flange to disappear!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 16

You guys are awesome! These tips are two days too late for me, (*as I smack myself on the forehead for not thinking of using straws!) but I'll certainly sock it away for another day. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%