How Do You Grease/line Your Tins?

Decorating By zespri Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm by ClassyCat

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 18

I always thought butter then flour was the accepted way to grease a tin, but I read somewhere on here that it could make your cakes tough on the edges. I wish I could remember where I read it (the search function errors when I use it).

If I'm remembering correctly, the post I read said use some kind of oil spray on the edges, and nothing else except for a ring of baking paper on the bottom.

At the moment I am buttering the whole tin, then putting baking paper on the sides and the bottom. Doing the sides is a pain (on a round tin), so I'd be happy to drop it if it worked! The only thing that bothers me is that my tin is aluminium, and I wonder if it leeches into the cake.

How do you do yours?

17 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 18

I use the homemade cake release or the Chefs and Bakers spray sold at Sam's Club. If it is a large cake 12" or up I line the bottom but never the sides.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 18

I make the cake release that is on this site. It is awesome!

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 18

I use Bakers Joy spray from Walmart. Works like a charm and no need to line the pans either!

Amaranthine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amaranthine Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 18

Homemade pan grease cake release. One part flour, one part vegetable oil, one part shortening all mixed together. Works like a charm. Cake pops right out and looks perfect, no ragged edges or anything. I won't ever go back to the butter and flour method.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 18

Yep, homemade pan grease plus a waxed paper circle in the bottom.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 18

I will definitely have to try the homemade pan grease. I recently tried the Pam for baking cakes and really like it though!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #8 of 18

I've been using the Bakers Joy spray and my cakes are coming out of the pan great!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 18

Homemade pan grease all the way!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:58am
post #10 of 18

Homeade pan grease and a wax paper circle in the bottom. Just like Leah.

Homeade Pan Grease'
1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 cup shortening
Blend with hand mixer until thoroughly blended and keep at room temperature in an airtight container.

I use a pastry brush to 'paint' it on the inside of my pans.

This is much cheaper than Bakers Joy and works just as well.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #11 of 18

now I know what cake release is!! I feel like a dummy, you'd think the name would give it away icon_wink.gif Perhaps because I've seen so many new products in the past two months (when I started getting interested in cakes), that it's just slipped past me.

Thanks for the recipe guys, I'll give it a go!

Does anyone know how long it will keep?

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 18

I use a light coating of PAM spray throughout the pan and line the bottom with wax paper.

I only line the side (with parchment) if I want the sides to rise above the edges of the pan. I find that if I spray the pan before lining, the spray helps the paper stick to the pan while I'm filling with batter.

Has never failed me yet...

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 18

homemade pan release and parchment paper on the bottom. Love it.

When I have used Pam like products in the past they leave a weird burnt grease like substance on the pan where there was no food while it was cooking. Over the long run it really messed up the pans. Plus I don't love the idea of that being on the food.

frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 18

quick little spray of cooking spray, like pam.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 18

Light spray with Pam and line bottom with parchment circle

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 18

Homemade pan grease with waxed paper in the bottom.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #17 of 18

I spray with Baker's Joy and if its a chocolate cake I also add parchment to the bottom.

ClassyCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyCat Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #18 of 18

Great advice! I've always greased my pans thoroughly with Crisco and added 2 tbs of flour to coat. I've never had any problems with this method, but I can see why using the parchment circles would be additional insurance that my cake won't stick. I'd hate to have a big cake to make, only to have to re-do it because the top of the cake chooses to sticks to the pan on that day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%