Chocolate Chili Pepper Cake Recipe? Anyone?

Baking By Alfiesmom Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 3:52am by bakercoz

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 15

I know that chocolate candies can be made with added chili pepper powder. I have a chili pepper enthusiast's birthday cake to make and she requested chocolate. i thought it would be unique to have the two ingredients combined. not excessively hot, but with that punch that pepper can add to chocolate. anybody have a recipe, or idea of proportions (chili powder to cocoa)? Thanks

14 replies
Alfiesmom Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 15

never mind. there is a recipe in the Recipes/Mexican cakes. It didn't come up when I did a search or I wouldn't have asked.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 15

Can you post it? I've been trying to open that recipe for 2 hours now, and for some reason it won't load:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7552/chocolate-chili-cake

Alfiesmom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 15

here it is. I made a batch as cupcakes for people to try. the chocolate taste wasn't as strong but there was a nice bite afterwards where the cayenne kicked in. overall good and I'm going to use it. HOWEVER, I am going to substitute brewed coffee for the water and add a tsp of vanilla so that the chocolate flavor of the cake won't get lost. I also would cut the amount of cinnamon to 2 tsp

Chocolate Chili Cake

Posted by mandyloo in Cake Mix Cakes, Chocolate Cakes, Mexican

I made this slightly unusual cake at my boyfriends request. He wanted a spicy chocolate cake that isnt too weird.

Chocolate Chili Cake
Ingredients
1 box any brand chocolate cake mix
ingredients on box (I always add an extra egg and box of sugar free pudding)
1 1/2 t cayenne
2 t chil powder
2 1/2 t cinnamon

Instructions
Whisk spices in with dry cake mix and then prepare as directed on the box.

kger Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks for the tip. What filling or bc did you pair it with?

Alfiesmom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 15

i made "Buddy Valasco's Buttercream" with some Bailey's coffee creamer added.

kger Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 15

So, how was it? Would you make it again? I'm thinking about offering it as a gourmet flavor.

Was the frosting recipe from the recipe forum, or elsewhere. There seem to be a few versions of Buddy Valastro's buttercream out there. Some with whole eggs, some with 1/2 shortening & 1/2 butter...

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 15

Lindt chocolate makes a chili chocolate bar that I bet would make an incredible buttercream if it was used instead of cocoa powder

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 15

I've paired that cake with chocolate pudding, chocolate buttercream, and vanilla buttercream, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out with each, though my boyfriend's definite favorite was the pudding filling and plain chocolate buttercream. icon_smile.gif

kger Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 15

How did you do the pudding filling? Just pudding mix and milk, or did you use whipping cream?

Alfiesmom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 15

I used Buddy's butter/shortening recipe.

Darth: I'm gonna look for those chocolate bars! would be great addition ground up even to the cake batter (cut back on some spices) and to flavor the icing
Thanks all

kger Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 15

I have one of them in my pantry I'd picked up awhile ago for a door prize for a baby shower. Good idea to mix it into batter or bc.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 15

In Maine, I can get the chili chocolate at just about any grocery store.
Now I want to make some chocolate chili buttercream!!!!!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:40pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

How did you do the pudding filling? Just pudding mix and milk, or did you use whipping cream?

I prefer pudding mix and whipping cream (LOVE that texture)...my boyfriend however (the person I made the cake for) loves his pudding packs.

bakercoz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakercoz Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:52am
post #15 of 15

I worked in a bakery and we did a wedding cake once that was chocolate cake but we made a ganache and added some cayenne pepper to it. The cake then had fresh orange roses and plastic chili peppers-fresh chili peppers would have been overkill. It was a cool looking cake and what an interesting flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%