Edible Images

Decorating By Jilly18 Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm by Crimsicle

Jilly18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jilly18 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a difference between rice/wafer paper and icing sheets? I recently had an image printed at two different cake supply stores and Im not impressed how they turned out. They printed them on this thick type paper which I assume is the icing sheets. The colors are very dull the whole page looks dingy. I was expecting a very thin delicate see through type paper with very bright colors.

6 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

Rice paper is made from rice and people will genearlly peal it off before eating it. It does not merge as well. Icing Sheets are made from a sugar base and will meld in to the icing if there is enough moisture. Thickness is in the eye of the beholder! I have had customers describe two different icign sheets two different ways. Is there a backing on the icing sheet that you peal off? If there is not, chances are you got rice paper. Icing Sheets generally have a backing.

Jilly18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jilly18 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the information!

The image I got does have a back that pills off.

Do the icing sheets come in different thickness? I purchased playing card edible images from Global Sugar Art. They appear to be printed on a very thin transparent film sheet.

As for as color quality for edible ink is it always dull?

icingimages Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 7

The playing cards are probably printed on chocolate transfer sheets which are completely different.
There are different types of icing sheets out there. Kopykake has a thin one that has a 1/2' boarder around and comes with a white background. I think that is the thinnest, but it comes with a price, they respond to dryness easy and can crack on you if left out too long. Lucks has a double layer icing. It is a bit thicker the KK, has a white background and has about 1/2" boarder around it. Icing Images Premium, I think is thicker, but others tell me it is thinner. It is edge to edge on the width and only 1/4" margin on the top. It has a clear backing and is the most durable and lasts the longest without drying and cracking.

Ink quality depends on the system they are using and how they use it. Many chain stores have older systems and do not use the most up to date cartridges. Their system is designed for many users and often times does not get maintaned properly depeneding on the store. Our colors are very vibrant and bright, but we use the latest technology and inks.

I hope this helps

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:30am
post #5 of 7

I can vouch for the brightness of Icing Images colors. I'm attaching a picture of my first Icing Images cake I did last night. Vivid and true to the artwork. I see a lot of bad images at bakeries. I think it's because the people printing them are not graphics people. I seldom have any image - for any purpose - that I don't tweak, increasing/decreasing saturation, color balance, contrast, brightness, etc. I suspect bakeries just print whatever comes off the scanner or customer file. That's part of the charm of doing your own...total control of the outcome. But, if you're not good with computer graphics, you may be frustrated trying to get to that perfect image. It's worth the learning curve to get those skills, IMHO.
LL
LL

icingimages Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 7

Crim...you should tell them the story as to why you have a picture of a tree. Its always nice to share peoples stories about good neighbors as it is too easy to talk about the bad stuff!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 7

LOL...sure.

I was away during a storm several days ago, and my tree fell on my neighbor's house! He cut it into small chunks and put it at the curb. I think most people would have just cut away the part affecting their house and left the rest to the tree owner. He knows I live alone, although we are not close at all. He took care of the tree for me, and apparently isn't going after damages, either. I thanked him, of course, but felt I should offer a more tangible token of appreciation. They were amazed and delighted.

Suzette

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%