Drinking @ A Baby Shower

Lounge By mtotowayesu Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 4:48am by 7yyrt

mtotowayesu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtotowayesu Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 31

I have this babyshower I'm planning for my brother and it will be at my house. It'll be starting @ 4pm till whenever and it'll be on 21st . I've invited both male and female so my brothers best friend is also helping me plan it. Now I'm in a dilema coz the ones who will be coming are mostly my brothers friends and they want alcohol. I hate to say no but I dont want to say yes either. Do people drink @ babyshowers?

30 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 31

What are you afraid of? The Baby Shower police? icon_wink.gif If the people who are planning the shower have alcohol, then yes, people drink at baby showers. icon_smile.gif

If it would make the men feel more comfortable, I'd have some beer and wine available. The ladies will probably appreciate it, too.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 31

just plan on:

a) fewer sweets -- most of the time alcohol squashes the desire for sweet foods.

b) more savory foods -- spicy wings, kicked-up burgers -- i.e. typical tailgate party foods.

----

have water and some other non-alcoholic drinks too.

could even do a theme for the food and then do both virgin and high test versions of same drink such as strawberry daiquiris or a sangria or....

----

and it wouldn't hurt to only have "just so much" available.

----

after all, just because the guests drink, doesn't mean mommy to be will.

----

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 31

---

and it wouldn't hurt to only have "just so much" available.

----
----[/quote]

Very good advice thumbs_up.gif

mtotowayesu Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 31

thanks for your suggestions. It's a good idea to have only but so much but what i've seen guys doing is they call before they show up at the party to ask if people are drinking and ofcourse when they're told there's drinks, they take it upon themselves to show up with more drinks.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 31

also check with the mom to be to make sure she's fine with it. I know some people don't care and others who would. Since the soon to be parent's are the guest of honor, leave it up to them

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

also check with the mom to be to make sure she's fine with it. I know some people don't care and others who would. Since the soon to be parent's are the guest of honor, leave it up to them

Personally, it sounds like a baby shower gone tailgating. It's all fine if the mother to be and father to be are OK with it, but it's definitely not in my taste.

In my opinion, the idea of a bunch of guys eating wings and drinking beer at my baby shower would really irritate me. Especially since I enjoy good beer but cannot have any. icon_wink.gif

Definitely run it by the couple first and see how they feel.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 31

for these types of functions I like to make a punch..Make a big bowl with no alcohol and a second one with....That way onces it gone....that's it and it a way to control everyone wanting something different.Cost is better too...try buying 4 different bottles and mix...costly..

Doug Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

for these types of functions I like to make a punch..Make a big bowl with no alcohol and a second one with....That way onces it gone....that's it and it a way to control everyone wanting something different.Cost is better too...try buying 4 different bottles and mix...costly..

yes! punch! (tho' somehow I feel so old fashioned liking it!)

but...hey....

my fav:

Southern Comfort Open House Punch

and it you leave out the alcohol, it's still a great punch!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 31

I hear yah Doug...a 26 oz bottle of any spirit here in Canada is anywhere from $20.00-$26.00 so if you were to buy Vodka,Whiskey,Rum and another kind and coolers and wine..You are looking at about $200.00 just for alcohol..No Thanks!! Punch is cheaper...LOL

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 31

At my baby shower we had Champange and that carbonated grape juice from welch's. It comes in a bottle that looks like wine. I can't remember what it's called. But it was perfect.

Doug Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 31

oh ....
and the punch we drank ad naseum when I was growing up:

Sherbet Punch.

1 gallon of sherbet (lime or orange)
3 to 4 liters of soda (lemon-lime with lime / orange soda with orange / ginger ale with either)

you can add rum or tequila to that for a nice "island" style punch

could vanilla ice cream w/ the orange/orange soda for a dreamsicle

and with the new flavors like raspberry and strawberry sherbet well -- that's almost like a margarita or daiquiri

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:00am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

oh ....

Sherbet Punch.

3 to 4 liters of soda (lemon-lime with lime / orange soda with orange / ginger ale with either)

ICK! I used to call that "church punch" because everytime there was anything at church the ladies pulled out the punch bowl, dumped in squares of sherbert and started splashing the lemon-lime or gingerale over it. It reminds me of the foam that rises to the top when you're boiling a chicken, albeit in rainbow colors!!

Food network just ran an old Good Eats on making Punch--adult punch and it was really interesting. Alton did a couple of different twists on them. I'm sure the recipes are on the website.

PS.. One punch I have done many times for showers, etc, and liquor can be added is so simple and so good.

1 frozen can of a fruit juice blend of your choice. (add water per can instructions) 1 icy cold 2Ltr bottle of a lemon-lime soda (and I've used the cheapy store brand) or ginger ale. Make an ice ring or two out of the fruit juice mixed with the soda--I get creative and put lemon slices, etc in the bottom of the ring and pour on a little liquid and let them freeze in place then fill the ring.
That's it. No sherbert.. nuthin'!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 31

I would definitely ask the honoree if she would be offended with alcohol @ her shower. I was given a shower where wine was served. I wasn't asked if it would be okay to do so. My family doesn't believe in drinking alcohol, so I would have said no given the opportunity. I was glad that it was a shower with co-workers and friends only. I would have been embarrassed if
family members were in attendance. I didn't say anything b/c wine was "tastefully" served.
I've been to 2 other showers with alcohol (one with mimosas & one with everything imageable). I'm not judging those who drink, but can't you give it up for this one occasion? After all, the honoree can't even partake.
JMO

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

oh ....

Sherbet Punch.

OMG!! I hate that crap!! I cringe when I see it at weddings!!! yes.. some people still use it at weddings!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 31

Simple.
You don't want alcohol there -
Just tell your brother you don't want booze.

YOU are hosting this party, YOU are paying for this party -
let the guys get sloshed later somewhere else.
Why should YOU have to deal with it?

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:25pm
post #17 of 31

My family has unisex, alcohol free baby showers. I have never been to a baby shower that offered alcohol, but I have head that wine may be served at formal showers.

Doug Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:53pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Simple.
You don't want alcohol there -
Just tell your brother you don't want booze.

YOU are hosting this party, YOU are paying for this party -
let the guys get sloshed later somewhere else.
Why should YOU have to deal with it?

speaking as a guy....

I wouldn't assume that all men are just out to get sloshed.

many can and do drink responsibly.

just as I would not assume that all ladies know how to drink responsibly.

Some put the guys to shame in the getting sloshed category.

----

if honoree says no -- that's it -- NO

if she says ok -- then CONTROL it -- and make clear it is NOT a byob situation.

7yyrt Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #19 of 31

If someone always bring more booze, they must feel they need it.
If it was women always bringing more booze, I would be concerned as well.

No difference; I wrote guys because the OP said it was guys.

MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #20 of 31

In my opinion, its inappropriate to serve alcohol at a baby shower. Is it so impossible these days to have a get together of people and not have alcohol? i mean, the guest of honor cant drink, i think everyone else can refrain from drinking for a few hours.

I think if alcohol is to be served at your party, try to keep it tasteful...wine, punch, etc. Pulling out a 2-4 at a baby shower is probably one of the least classy things you can do.

Doug Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:20pm
post #21 of 31

so tired of the "but the guest of honor can't drink" argument.

by that logic:

if I have an allergy to a certain food -- then nope that food can't be served to my guests AT all.

if I have faith based dietary restriction -- then nope that food can't be served to my guests at all.

if I have a particular dislike for a food -- gone
---

and so, is was SO wrong of us to beat up Chelsea Clinton for insisting all her guests HAD to have ONLY gluten free cake. Thank heaven's she didn't foist her vegan preferences on everyone! <sarcasm!

and so my mother couldn't stand turkey! well of course no turkey ever for us -- wrong -- she just had some else make and bring it

and so I can't eat cashews -- well don't you know I'll insist that EVERYONE who goes to the Chinese restaurant with me can NOT have cashew chicken because I can't have any ::boo hoo:: icon_cry.gif

----

PUHLEEZE -- stop using this ludicrous specious argument.

----

and so funny have we've gone via exaggeration and stretching (perverting) the truth from ....

the guys will bring alcohol if allowed

to

"Pulling out a 2-4" << never mentioned as a possibility by OP

talk about making overblown assumptions!

-----

get over it.

yes, alcohol can be a part of nearly any social function.

yes, it should be handled in a tasteful (dubious regarding certain punch recipes) manner

----

no need to get all hysterical about it.

=====

and as for guys bringing own...no big deal.

little secret ladies -- that's part of the guy "code" -- byob and some extra to share too. We take a more "pot luck" attitude as opposed to catered affair.

MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #22 of 31

k, nobody is getting hysterical but you. Food allergies and preferences are a completely different thing (and yes, if someone did have an allergy, i.e nut, i would ask that all food be nut free). I believe chelsea did the right thing by having a gluten free cake, its her wedding cake, she should be able to have a piece. And, yes, most people can drink responsibly. MOST being the key word.

A baby shower is a celebration of a new life being brought into the world, and honoring the mom to be, by showering her with food, presents and well wishes, not alcohol. The op is asking if people drink at baby showers, and IMO, no they dont. i've been to several baby showers, including 2 of my own and nobody was drinking, out of respect.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:28pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

The op is asking if people drink at baby showers, and IMO, no they dont.

That's why the question was dubious in the first place. IMO, yes, they do. In my circle, there's almost always alcohol.

None of this helps the OP. The bottom line is, she knows her friends, she knows her family. This is a question for those close to the OP and the parents-to-be, not a bunch of strangers. The passionate and diverse replies this question has received bear that out.

7yyrt Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:51pm
post #24 of 31

It is her decision, yes - and she has said SHE DOES NOT WANT TO ALLOW ALCOHOL.

Her house, her gathering, her rules.

She wanted other opinions as to whether it is normal to drink at baby showers.
I guess it boils down to:
If the group drinks, they want to drink at most gatherings.
If they seldom drink, they can abstain if the hostess wants them to without making her feel guilty.
-
Side question for those who serve alcohol, from someone who doesn't...
It takes between an hour to an hour an a half for average people to burn off the effects of one drink...
Do you cut off serving more than an hour before your guests go home?

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:35am
post #25 of 31

I've been to baby showers where alcohol was available, and I've been to baby showers where it wasn't. It just depends what kind of party it is. If it's an old-fashioned tea party with little sandwiches and pastries, or it's a daytime office party, then alcohol would likely be out of place. If it's a more modern Friday evening shindig with fancy appetizers, then cocktails and/or wine are appropriate, and maybe microbrews, in addition to some sort of non-alcoholic juice-based drinks and mineral water. If it's a weekend afternoon picnic or barbecue, there'd be a cooler of soft drinks and a cooler of beer. If it's a brunch, there might be the option of turning your OJ into a mimosa. None of this really has anything to do with whether it's a girls-only event or both men and women are invited. A shower can be any of those types of parties, and which is most appropriate depends on the social circle of the host(s) and the guest(s) of honor.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:05am
post #26 of 31

personally i think its up to the OP since she is hosting the shower. IF she isn't comfortable with it then don't serve it.

I personally don't think its necessary to drink at a baby shower, but maybe i'm just old fashioned. OR just plain old icon_smile.gif

BTW: I do enjoy a drink every now and then.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:00am
post #27 of 31

I agree with Doug, he just beat me to the comment that just because the guest of honor can't drink or eat a certain food then no one can have it just doesn't make sense.
I think there might be a difference in what people think of when someone posts the expression-should guests drink at a baby shower. It seems like some get the mental image of a kegger-guests drinking beer and alcohol more like party time college style, while I imagine it to be pairing a nice wine with the food served or having a signature martini as a toast. That may account for the difference in advice.
My daughter is hosting a baby shower for her friend. Her friend has health issues, so she can not eat cake. I will be making the cake for the shower and my daughter asked that I not make a carrot cake because that is her friend's all time favorite and she will never be able to eat it again, but we will have cake for the guests to enjoy.
When hosting an event one should do their best to please the guest of honor, but also honor the other guests that attend. JMHO!

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Side question for those who serve alcohol, from someone who doesn't...
It takes between an hour to an hour an a half for average people to burn off the effects of one drink...
Do you cut off serving more than an hour before your guests go home?

excellent question --

I don't. I leave it up to the guest to control own consumption, tho' if a "situation" arose I'd have an overnight guest now wouldn't I.
Nor do I expect anyone to control mine or be responsible for mine.
(I use a simple plan -- on arrival 2 alcoholic drinks. After that, water/tea/soda. Good to go by the time I leave -- usually 3-4 hours later.
So far, the gatherings I've been to have been very social and very adult, no drunkards.

Some states apply "innkeeper laws" to homeowners making them responsible for drunkenness of guests. Others don't. Good to know law in your own state.

---

Interesting all this alcohol aversion. I was taught is was a very proper hostess gift to bring a bottle of wine. I don't only because I'm so clueless about wine (Boone's Farm anyone?) and would not want to offend someone with a poor choice. I find other things (candles!) to bring.

I dare say that the guys will behave considering they will be there as the partner to some lady in attendance, all of who will likely band together to make sure they behave (and play all those embarrassing games).

BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:19am
post #29 of 31

I went to a baby shower once where alcohol was served. It was a co-ed party for a good friend/co-worker that was a real cut-up. All the games were purposly distasteful (such as guess the name of the dirty nursery rhyme). At the end of the party multiple people (myself included) ended up at the tatoo parlor to commemorate the event with tatoos and body piercings. The guest of honor had the time of her life even without partaking in the alcohol and went along to watch the fun at the tatoo shop. It was a baby shower to remember, that's for sure.

Oh and by the way, I was stone cold sober and was the designated driver. But my tatoo is a rememberance of my crazy friend and that wild night.

mtotowayesu Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:32am
post #30 of 31

Thanks for all your ideas. This is how it went, the person who was supposed to barbecue the meat didn't hold up his end of the bargain so my brother and his friend did it. Since they were outside, it was not necessary to come through the house.So some guys found a perfect opportunity to drink even though the deal was no drinking! I had no control over what was going on outside since I had to entertain those guests who were in the house. The party went into the night. Never have a drinking babyshower because at the end of the day it turned out sour when some guy came into the house and decided to black out on the couch. My cousin is the one who had given him a ride but my cousin had snicked out and deserted his friend in my house! What upset me most waa that I had not invited this guy,and was making advances towards the ladies and kept on rubbing my sister in laws belly.
My husband wound up trying to find this guys address and taking him home. ofcouse waking him up was uneventful coz my bestfriend had to pour ice water on him to wake him up. In conclusion, NO DRINKING @ BABYSHOWERS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%