Heating Core Or Baking Strips?

Baking By Pickulz Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm by cakegrandma

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:31am
post #1 of 4

Which one is better for even baking? My ends tend to bake faster then the center which I know typically happens...
Shud I use a heating core or get baking strips? Or both. I dont have either at the moment...
This just happened on a carrot cake I baked 9inches...Im realizing now I shud have put a flower nail at least!

3 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:17am
post #2 of 4

There are several threads discussing this subject that may be able to help you. Here are a couple of the longer ones:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-687780-0.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-653117-0.html

For more threads, go to the forums tab, click on "search" on the purple line. Type something in the search line. Select "search for all terms". You can limit results by selecting "Search Topic Title Only". There were 142 threads when I used the words heating core. You can do baking strips also. If you want more results, use "search for any terms", and search through the subject and body.

Happy reading.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 4

If you are having the issue of your ends baking faster, then a heating core will work for you. Also, what temp are you baking at? - you may need to lower it a bit.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 4

Try baking your cakes at 325 degrees instead of 350, this will slow down the baking and help to avoid the domed top. Also turn a metal flower nail upside down in the middle of any cake that is over 8". Instead of having to prepare the heating core that has to be greased inside and out, then removing the cooked batter from the core and inserting some icing around the hole it left to reinsert the cake from the core so there isn't a crater in your cake. (Taking a deep breath now) It is just easier to invert the nail and let it do the same job as the heating core, besides it leaves a smaller hole. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%