Help! Fondant Won't Stick To Cake!

Decorating By yanica1 Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 11:15pm by catlharper

yanica1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanica1 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 5

Help... i am making a cake and am trying to cover it with the wilton fondant but it is not sticking to the cake icon_sad.gif what did i do wrong? how can i fix it without making a huge mess?

thanks,
K

4 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

What do you have as frosting on the cake? You should be able to just spritz it with a little water to moisten in then put the fondant on.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 5

Take it off the cake, reknead it and roll it out. Make sure that the BC on your cake hasn't crusted up too much. If it has then smooth it out again or spritz with a fine misting of water. Then apply the fondant. Should go on perfectly.

cAt

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 5

I NEVER mist my cakes with water. I use Planet Cakes method for covering a cake with fondant. I use this method whether I'm using ganache or bc. I let the bc crust really good....then I use simple syrup (1 c sugar dissolved in 1/2 c hot water) and a pastry brush and 'paint' a thin coat on my cake. This allows the fondant to adhere really well.

You can watch Planet Cake's "HOW TO COVER A CAKE WITH FONDANT" video tutorial on youtube. It's the best method I've found so far. thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 5

Robin, I usually just resmooth my buttercream and it makes it moist enough to adhere...only use a misting if I really need to but since using Indydebis recipe I haven't needed to<G>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%