Follow Up Story....

Decorating By catlharper Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 4:31am by Ruth0209

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 7

I wrote a while back about doing a cake this July where the bride had the reception in a venue with no A/C and her mom had decided the MOH should cut the cake. I was fearful of a melted cake and quite the mess. Where here is the final story:

Things didn't go how I'd imagined, or how the bride imagined...or even how her mom imagined LOL. We got to the venue and before hand I'd actually been asked to stay, as a guest, so I was dying to see what happened. On the day of the wedding we were blessed by a day in the 80's (uncharacteristic) not the 90's or 100's like we'd feared. I set up on the cake table and then changed into party dress and then waited. The wedding was lovely..the bride is a lovely person, as is the groom, but it was 2 hours later before the reception even started so I was worried about the cake and was banking on IndyDebi's buttercream to do it's magic. The cake was set right behind the couple so all could see it. They loved it...the groom has thanked me 6 times now<G>When it was time to cut the cake the "catering staff" said they were cutting it. I reminded them, or tried to, that the cake was probably soft but, unlike the bride and groom who listened to my cutting instructions, the catering staff were not interested in hearing me. First off all, the lady tried to lift the cake with ONE hand! (this is the plumeria cake in my album)...I couldn't look away but was waiting for disaster. She finally realized she couldn't even lift it and went and got another girl to move it over to the buffet table. I waited a few minutes then brought out the box for the top tier for the bride and groom, and couldn't believe my eyes...they butchered my cake! It was truly awful. I had to walk away...I couldn't watch. Fortunately the cake held up, tasted wonderful and everyone praised up and down...even had pieces of each flavor. So it was a hit. Alls well that ends well. The bride did see the masacre and just laughed and said, of well, it tastes great even if it doesn't look as beautiful anymore! LOL!

Cat

6 replies
MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:40am
post #2 of 7

isn't it nice when things work out, especially when we're not expecting them to?!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 7

I was relieved when they didn't force the MOH to do the cutting but it was traumatic to watch them butcher my cake! LOL! Oh well, thanx to indydebis BC the cake held up in the heat and looked gorgeous thru the whole thing!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 7

glad everything worked out okay. So sorry they butchered the cake.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

it was traumatic to watch them butcher my cake!

That would be hard to watch! Glad the couple was pleased with your efforts

bluesplot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluesplot Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for posting the story. I love finding out how things turn out for people, especially when it has a happy/yummy ending.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:31am
post #7 of 7

It's just ridiculous that catering staff can't cut a square cake. They're SO easy to cut. Round cakes can be a bit trickier, but for heavens sake. How hard can it be to cut a bunch of rectangles? That's too bad. The cake was very pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%