Indydebi's Buttercream Icing Questions...

Decorating By Chantele Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm by karenm0712

Chantele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chantele Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everybody!

I was wondering if anyone knew how long Indydebi's buttercream could sit before you use it? (A few hours, days, or weeks?) If it can sit for a while, do you just keep it in an airtight container at room temperature? Also, can you add color to it (Wilton paste kind) or will that ruin it?

Thanks in advance!

Chantele

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 6

I know I have read that Debi has kept her icing on the counter for over a week.

Personally for me with any icing if it is not going to be used for a little time I throw it in the fridge.

And yes you can use Wilton or Americolor to color it.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 6

I use Indydebi's BC recipe all the time. It's great! It can sit out for a while, but if i'm not using it that same day, I put it in a covered container and refridgerate it. It lasts for a few weeks. The way you know if its still good, is when you smell it and it still smells like sugar, then its good. If not, it smells well, just not quite right, you know. Then, just dump it. It holds up well to heat and humidity too. I use any kind of food coloring in it, not a problem. HTH

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 6

i just made a batch last week, used what i needed and stored the rest in the fridge. i took it out last night and it still looks great. i will whip it up again before i re-use it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 6

I use Indydebi's bc exclusively and I never refrigerate. I keep mine in an airtight container for two weeks or better. Indydebi has also said she's kept her for up to two weeks at room temperature.

Honestly...this icing is better if made ahead and left at least overnight before using. I just give it a couple of good 'stirs' before using.

I make about 10 or more batches of this icing each week but I've never had any to sit around any longer than two weeks...if I did, I would probably freeze it.

You could refrigerate if you want but there isn't a need to. I just prefer to keep mine at room temperature. thumbs_up.gif

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 6

I also use Indydebi's icing exclusively. I noticed that after about a week, when left out at room tempurature if starts to "ferment" or get that "smell". So, if I have leftovers I definitely pop the container in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%