Carmel Frosting

Baking By drottum Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 9:23am by zespri

drottum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drottum Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:05am
post #1 of 19

I am looking for a carmel (fluffy)frosting for turtle cupcakes.
I was thinking of using my buttercream recipe, but putting watkins carmel extract instead of butter flavoring??

Any suggestions would be wonderful.
Thank You
Deb

18 replies
bubblywhitewine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblywhitewine Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 19

sorry, I don't have a receipe for you but it sounds yummie!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:24am
post #3 of 19

sounds good! I found some goooood caramel too, in the ice cream section...I think mrs richardsons or something, its a good expensive kind (not hersheys or smuckers) and it tastes lovely in mousse or buttercream.

conniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conniecakes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 19

I have used the Watkins flavoring and Lorann's butterscotch flavoring. Both of them work really well, but the butterscotch flavoring gives the buttercream a wonderful taste. People will love either one.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #5 of 19

Do you substitute some of the water/milk with the caramel sauce?

I have a caramel mudcake in the freezer, waiting for a party next weekend. I have no idea how to decorate it, but caramel buttercream seems like a good idea. Not a lot actually goes with caramel flavour, so it's hard to know how to decorate!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 19

Yeah you could make the buttercream pretty thick and then use the caramel....I think you'd still need some milk though too. For cupcakes, its okay if its a bit more creamy than for icing a cake, I'd think, too.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #7 of 19

I haven't made this yet, but I found it recently when I was browsing around looking at recipes.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/caramel-frosting-recipe.htm

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #8 of 19

I am actually experimenting with caramel buttecream and fondant. I havent got the consistancy I want yet. But it is fun experimenting.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:13am
post #9 of 19

I put Nestle Dulce de Leche in some cupcakes I made the other day and it was delicious. I used it as a filling and added it to my butter cream for flavor.

drottum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drottum Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 19

Thank you for all your suggestions!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:23am
post #11 of 19

Meharding,
Did you need to add any caramel flavoring as well, or was the dulce de leche enough?

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 19

It flavored the buttercream. It would not be a replacement for a true caramel frosting, but a true caramel frosting would not work well for decorating. Because the Nestle product is about the consistency of a soft buttercream you could add quite a bit to get a stronger flavor. Hope this helps.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 19

I add DDL to cream cheese frosting and it is sooooo yummy! I just keep adding untill I get the right amount of caramel flavour
It's also delicious to add it to chocolate fudge frosting

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 19

For anyone interested, you can make your own Dulce de Leche by boiling a can of condensed milk for three hours. (leave it in the can, boil the entire thing!).

egensinnig Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 19

And you can also use your microwave oven and do it in 20 min icon_wink.gif
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14383/dulce-de-leche-ddl-quick-and-easy

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #16 of 19

oh....my....gosh.....
you have made my day! Twenty minutes is absolutely do-able, I can't wait to try it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

egensinnig Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:54am
post #17 of 19

I just love how easy it is - especially since you can't buy DDL in a jar here. (We don't even have cake mixes! )
And when you make it this way you can choose how thick you want it. I just microwave it until it's the thickness I want - runny for ice cream and thicker for fillings and frostings

Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

oh....my....gosh.....
you have made my day! Twenty minutes is absolutely do-able, I can't wait to try it!!

Quote:

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 7:14am
post #18 of 19

cake mixes here are nasty things, I tried one once, never again! I don't think you're missing out on much icon_smile.gif

Tonight at the supermarket I bought two cans (my husband frowned at me, because he knows they will torture him, he'll want to eat it straight out of the can).

May I ask how you fill your cakes? I see people here talk about filling cakes, but the only kind of 'filled' cakes I've ever seen are like sponge cakes, in layers with cream between them. Is that what is meant by it?

Quote:

I just love how easy it is - especially since you can't buy DDL in a jar here. (We don't even have cake mixes! )
And when you make it this way you can choose how thick you want it. I just microwave it until it's the thickness I want - runny for ice cream and thicker for fillings and frostings

zespri Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:23am
post #19 of 19

I tried some caramel buttercream last night on cupcakes, and it worked beautifully. It was subtle flavoured, pale in colour (I used home-made dulce de luche for the flavour), and it crusted beautifully. I've submitted the recipe to 'recipes', it hasn't come up yet, but I called it 'crusting caramel buttercream icing' if anyone wants to search for it later. yum yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%