My Cupcake Tastes Like Cornbread? Whb Recipe Used.

Baking By jemchina Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 9:01pm by cupcakequeen511

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 13

I wanted to try to Whimsical Bakehouse Vanilla cupcake recipe for an upcoming order. Instead of making the CC's one recipe yielded enough for a 6 in round. It domed quite a bit on top, SO I sliced that off and gave it a taste. To me it taste like cornbread. Especially if you eat the crust part along with the cake.

This was the recipe:
1 3/4 cup plus 2 T cake flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 tsp warmed milk (110 F)
2 large eggs
4 oz (1 stick of butter)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder.

I followed the instructions to a "t"

Any suggestions, on how I get a more vanilla tasting recipe, or have one they would like to share.

Also it did not seem as moist as my other cakes. It's not crumble or anything just not moist IMO.

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemchina

I followed the instructions to a "t"

Any suggestions, on how I get a more vanilla tasting recipe, or have one they would like to share.

Also it did not seem as moist as my other cakes. It's not crumble or anything just not moist IMO.

Ah, another "followed it to a T" post that didn't turn out right! icon_lol.gif I'm not poking at ya .... I'm just a "until it looks right" cook/baker, and just notice how many threads needing advice start out with "followed it to a T". thumbs_up.gif I view a recipe as "just a suggestion" on what goes in it and how long it cooks/bakes.

To get a more vanilla taste, just add more vanilla. I never use just the amount of vanilla that is stated in a recipe. It's always "not enough" for my taste.

I'm not a scratch baker by any means, so I'm only sharing some tips that I've picked up reading posts by the resident scratch experts on here, but one thing I've seen more than once is how oil adds moisture ..... more than butter ..... and this recipe doesn't have any oil. I will let someone with more scratch baking experience than me address how to correct that .... if they feel it even needs correcting.

I can relate this to my experience with "butter recipe yellow cake" mixes. Those use butter instead of oil and I think those always taste like cornbread; very porous; somewhat dry.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 13

I tried this recipe before and I didin't like it either. I thought it was too dry and not tasty. What I did was add more vanilla and a capfull of veg. oil. I also add the oil to the caramel cake recipe in the WBH book. I love butter cakes but some of them tend to be dry, to me the oil helps without making it gummy.

jemchina Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:42am
post #4 of 13

[/quote]Ah, another "followed it to a T" post that didn't turn out right! icon_lol.gif I'm not poking at ya .... I'm just a "until it looks right" cook/baker, and just notice how many threads needing advice start out with "followed it to a T". thumbs_up.gif I view a recipe as "just a suggestion" on what goes in it and how long it cooks/bakes.

[/quote]

LOL I'm not a scratch baker (for cakes) either, and I just proved it to myself yet one more time icon_lol.gif But I really resisted just changing things up on this one, because I really thought it would be a good recipe.

Maybe it was bad Karma, as I put the cake in the oven, the customer called me that she needed to reduce the order, because she had less people coming than what she thought. I convinced her not too, and then I realized the cake was not even pink like she wanted , so it was a waste anyways.

Thanks for your comments, I did not know the tip with the oil. I will keep that in mind next time. I mostly do altered cake mixes too, so it looks like I might be back to my true and tested cake extender recipe. icon_smile.gif

jemchina Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:45am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

not tasty.

That's exactly what I thought. It was not tasty nor did it taste like cake. I tried another piece without the crusty part, and it was better. But I just don't like how this cake crusted, and how it can taste so different on the outside than on the inside.

Maybe I can make cake pops out of it icon_wink.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 13

I read somewhere about adding mayo to recipes and that is the secret to a moist cake. I've never tried it before, but I will probably try it for my next recipe. But yeah, that recipe seems to be too dry with only 2 eggs and 1 stick of butter.

Now, just out of curiosity, did you make sure to have all of your ingredients at room temp and your dry ingredients sifted?

jemchina Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Now, just out of curiosity, did you make sure to have all of your ingredients at room temp and your dry ingredients sifted?

Yes all was sifted, room temp. except the milk which called for it to be at 110F.

I tried my regular recipe today, and added 1/3 cup oil. And it came out perfect. Nice sweet firm cupcake. The WBH recipe gives you a crust that really taste like cornbread. I won't be making this one again icon_sad.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 13

good to know. Do you mind sharing your typical recipe?

jemchina Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

good to know. Do you mind sharing your typical recipe?

I used this one today for the cupcakes

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1977/cake-mix-extender

My variation was I used milk instead of the water called for on the box,and only 3 eggs total.

I also use this one when making cakes.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1953/super-enhanced-cake-formula

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:54am
post #10 of 13

I always use the reverse method when baking from scratch. You didn't post the directions, but if the recipe doesn't call for the reverse method I would try that. So you would put all dry ingredients first (flour, sugar, leavening, & salt). Then you would add the fat. Mix until it starts looking like pebbles (similar to when making biscuits or pie crust). Then add all of your liquids into your measuring cup and slowly add to the bowl while the mixer is running. Beat for a minute until it is all incorporated.

This method works like a charm for me. I use this method for white cakes too.

You could also try subbing buttermilk, yogurt, or sour cream for the milk.

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 13

I also made a yellow cake from scratch that tasted like cornbread. Researched and tried the recipe again. So I substituted the AP flour for cake flour and I also creamed the butter and sugar mixture longer. This resulted in a moist cake that was light and fluffy. And the cornbread taste was no longer there. HTH.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:02am
post #12 of 13

Change the technique:

Sift cake flour with baking powder and salt.

Cream butter and sugar until dissolved.
Add eggs one by one until absorbed.
Add vanilla [1 teaspoon]

Fold in 1/3 dry ingredients, 1/2 milk,1/3 dry ingredients, 1/2 milk, then lastly 1/3 dry ingredients.

Once you have completed the second part - do not use the electric mixer again

Folding the last ingredients in by hand ensures that there is minimal gluten-developement that makes a cake dry and "cornbread" in texture ..

cupcakequeen511 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen511 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 13

I have been having the same problem with mine thank you Auzzi for the suggestions icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%