Cake Batter Quantities For Wilton Giant Cupcake Tin

Baking By alecialondon Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm by DeezTreatz

alecialondon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alecialondon Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there,

I've just bought the Wilton giant cupcake tin and would like to make a scratch cake using it. The problem is I have no idea what size batter to use as none of my recipes specify home many 'cups' of batter they make, they are all based on diameter. Can anyone suggest a scratch recipe with quantities (vanilla/lemon/white) which they've used or tell me what 'diameter' cake batter to make? All help greatly appreciated - not sure where to turn next!

Thanks team!

Alecia

8 replies
illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

so... I don't have an exact measurement but when I bake from scratch using that pan I make enough batter to fill two 8" rounds. I bake all the way to the top of the tin so I maximize the cupcake and am able to cut off the excess before removing it from the tin :] g'luck

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 9

Quick hint on that pan: one side bakes WAY faster than the other. I would bake the top first, remove from pan, then bake the bottom. Design flaw.

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:11am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Quick hint on that pan: one side bakes WAY faster than the other. I would bake the top first, remove from pan, then bake the bottom. Design flaw.

Or put the bottom to the back of the oven helps a little. But last time, I still had to cover the top part with foil because it was already done.

I've invested in a 5x4" round for the bottom now, and use that for the bottom. And make a candy shell from the real pan bottom... everyone is soooooooooo impressed by the candy shell! And it looks soo clean. Also, it's much less work to frost in the end.

The silicone cupcake pan they sell As Seen on TV is two parts.. I guess they learned from Wilton's mistake.
LL

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 9

I like that idea of the candy shell! Looks great!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:

Mine baked evenly. I've made 7 cakes using this pan and everytime it baked perfectly even. SO...not all of them are like that. I remember a thread from a few weeks ago on this and someone else said theirs baked evenly as well.

I used the Durable 3D/Wedding cake recipe from this site and it was just the right amount to fill the pans.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Mine baked evenly. I've made 7 cakes using this pan and everytime it baked perfectly even. SO...not all of them are like that. I remember a thread from a few weeks ago on this and someone else said theirs baked evenly as well.

I used the Durable 3D/Wedding cake recipe from this site and it was just the right amount to fill the pans.

icon_smile.gif How many cups of batter did you use for each part?
TIA icon_smile.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 9

for giant cupcake batter use 2 1/2 cups for top and 3 1/2c for the bottom. hope that helps

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

for giant cupcake batter use 2 1/2 cups for top and 3 1/2c for the bottom. hope that helps

Thank you! So I will def. need 2 boxes!
How long did you bake each side for? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%