True Blood Cake Ideas

Decorating By eve81 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm by eve81

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 24

Hi everyone
I've been asked to make a birthday cake with a true blood theme and Im not a fan of the whole vampire thing at all but I've been doing research online and I *think* i have an idea of what i'm going to do with regards decoration but any help would be appreciated. I know I want it to be a 2 tier (probably 8" and 10" rounds). Is there any popular vampirish elements I should include - like how can I create blood (keeping in mind I want to cover in fondant)
But I want the cake to have black covering and would love a red cake, like red velvet cake, only for it to taste more like chocolate (i've yet to taste a RVC that I like) with maybe a buttercream filling.
Am I trying to do something unachievable here?

Would really love to hear any feedback. TIA.

23 replies
HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 24

I have been wanting to do a True Blood cake for a while now. You can definitely go with red velvet (I'd do cream cheese icing if it was me), or try adding red food color to a vanilla or buttercake recipe. It would be really cute if you could replicate a bottle of True Blood. You can also incorporate fangs, maybe wolf eyes (since this season we meet the werewolves). You can also use royal icing colored a dark red to creat splattered or dripping blood. I have a tshirt that says "Real blood is for suckers," with a bottle of True Blood next to it - mayb you can do something with that.

Good luck!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 24

I would so suggest making the true blood bottle. Just look at some of the wine bottles on this site to see how good it would look.

GlassJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GlassJoe Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 24

My sister-in-law is a HUGE fan of True Blood and she recently was at ( I think ) the HBO store in NYC. She got her hands on a bottle of Tru Blood like the stuff they sell in the show. I've attached a quick pic but if you are interested I'll take some really nice pics from every angle and post them here for you. Let me know.

***edit***

For some reason it won't allow me to post pics here. This is my first post here on Cake Central so I'm not sure but it might have something to do with not having enough posts. Sorry, but if you are interested let me know and I can email them to you or something.

eve81 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 24

The bottle shape idea would be great only the birthday girls hubbie wants the vampires bill and eric (?) included somehow becaue she fantasises about them (what a great sport he is eh? lol) hence me wanting to do a round 2 tier, so if I mess up the figures there'll be other things to focus on. I will definitely incorporate the bottle in there some where though. Also thinking I need headstone/s. tried googling the show but it just keeps bringing me up pics of sookie and her crew.

Glassjoe - would love an email of that pic if you could pm me.

Will definitely use the royal icing idea for blood thanks hpchick.

Tesso, can i ask what faux nache is? or is that a dumb Q...

tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassJoe

For some reason it won't allow me to post pics here. This is my first post here on Cake Central so I'm not sure but it might have something to do with not having enough posts. Sorry, but if you are interested let me know and I can email them to you or something.

you just have to resave your pic as a gif. file or something small. Pics have to be less than 800 pix.

tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve81

Tesso, can i ask what faux nache is? or is that a dumb Q...

Not a dumb question at all. I make ganache and add powder sugar to it to make it sweeter. It still acts like ganache, but technically is not "real ganache".

Everyone I know has a sweet tooth and absolutey hates "real ganache". SO i experimented until I came up with a combo that suited my ganache needs and their tastebuds. icon_biggrin.gif

GlassJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GlassJoe Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 24

Let's try this again.

***edit***

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

you just have to resave your pic as a gif. file or something small. Pics have to be less than 800 pix.

Worked like a charm, thanks.
LL

eve81 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks for that Tesso. Although I was hoping it would be something sans cream. I'm looking for a really good chocolate filling for my devils food cake that I dont have to refridgerate and faux nache sounded too good to be true lol

What a funky bottle. Thanks for the close up shot Glassjoe. The shape doesnt seem too intimidating so I might just make a few out of gumpaste. to sit beside one of the vampires.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 24

So excited for you. Don't know if this will help, but when you said they want something with Bill and Eric on it. You could put a girl in between the two vamps.
My best friend and I are big fans and want to make tshirts for us that say "Team Eric" and "Team Bill". Don't know if you could do anything with that.
Have you thought of incorporating other things from the show and books like the vampire bar Fangtasia, the regular bar Merlots, the poster that was used for advertising for the show, the American League of Vampires, the werewolves, etc.
If there is anything I can do to help, pm me. I'll do what I can.
Good Luck!
Can't wait to see what you do.

eve81 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:05am
post #11 of 24

those are some fantastic ideas! I've been googling Fangtasia, Merlots and werewolves now for the last hour. Possibilities are endless. icon_smile.gif
I've even come across some artwork that I'm going to use for inspiration
http://true-blood.tv/Photos/FanArt/RubyRed/RubyRed.html
Thinking of using the one of Bill positioned against his headstone on the top tier, then have eric leaning on the first tier like his is in the bar picture then having a Bar/fangtasia background behind him.
A bit adventurous but at least now I have more of an idea of what I want to achieve. icon_biggrin.gif

Just hope now I can try to make the figures look as much like them as possible.....
LL
LL

VentureSister Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 24

Love those pictures. Can't wait to see the finished result.

eve81 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:04am
post #13 of 24

been thinking more about this cake. I want the dramatic look to continue once the cake is cut and I dont have much luck with RVC so I was wondering, would it work if i used a white cake mix and then used red food colouring to dye a batch red and marble effect it through the white. would that work?
sorry to be a pain. my baking experience is very limited.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:52am
post #14 of 24

Marbelling is a cute idea, like the cake was streaked with blood icon_smile.gif When you mix your white batter, Just set a side a small amount to colour red icon_smile.gif Pop the white batch in pan, and pour the red on top in a random pattern, and use a knife/spoon/cocktail stick to swish it about a bit icon_smile.gif

eve81 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:25am
post #15 of 24

that's exactly what I want!
thanks Cath icon_smile.gif

ZombieCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZombieCupcakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:34am
post #16 of 24

You can make blood by using Wilton red candy melts. I used it on a fondant cake before and it looks like the real thing.

eve81 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:57pm
post #17 of 24

just spent 2 hours making eric (the blonde one?)
will tackle bill tomorrow.

zombie cupcakes - What are candy melts and do i need them in my stock cupboard? i've seen mention of them before on here...............

ZombieCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZombieCupcakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #18 of 24

Candy melts are available from Wilton. Here is a link to the Wilton page. Once you melt them they are very easy to pour over cakes :>

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310A5F-475A-BAC0-513EBB4AAC195A7E&fid=3E32DFEA-475A-BAC0-51B68534387FF8B9

eve81 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 24

Cake is done!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks everyone

VentureSister Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #20 of 24

Do you have a picture?

eve81 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:00am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

Do you have a picture?

Yeah I'll get one on soon. Had 2 cakes due today and only finished up after midnight so going to give the kitchen a better wipe down this morning before I take some pics icon_redface.gificon_razz.gificon_redface.gif

eve81 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:44am
post #22 of 24

Ok I've been attempting to attach the pic to this thread but it's not recognising the attachment but I've finally uploaded it to my photos ok (after several attempts - kept saying specified photo does not exist!?!?)

Not perfect but I'm happy enough with it. also my first tier cake icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #23 of 24

Really like the figures.
Showed it to my sister (who is also a big fan of the show). She is demanding that I do the exact same cake for her birthday. : )

eve81 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

Really like the figures.
Showed it to my sister (who is also a big fan of the show). She is demanding that I do the exact same cake for her birthday. : )

Excellent! what a compliment icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%