Goody Bag Goodies

Decorating By Shazzicakes Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 2:45am by sillywabbitz

Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 12

I hope someone has a brilliant idea for me....

Every 4 years, we have a National Show, and every branch of our Guild is asked to donate items for the Goody bags which entrants receive. It doesn't have to be expensive (you have to send about 350 items), but it does have to be something novel which a cake decorator could use. Some past examples are a "puff" bag for your cornflour, a holder for your paintbrushes, etc.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I would really like to send something special and different, but obviously budget is an issue!

Thanks

11 replies
SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 12

My most useful new gadget is a water pen for my fondant. I found mine in the scrapbooking section at Michael's.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 12

make-up brushes (or similar. for applying dusts to flowers), stamens (bought in bulk then sub-divide), tip brush (for cleaning icing tubes)....350, huh? Geez....

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 12

That's a lot of favors! Something made of paper or plastic would probably be the least expensive. Disposable pastry bags? Cupcake papers? A paper template for something (maybe cupcake papers)? Doilies?

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 12

Disposable icing bag filled with sprinkles or m&m's or dragees?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

A paper template for something (maybe cupcake papers)? Doilies?

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif from me! Print two at a time on cardstock (maybe even more per sheet...I don't know for sure). That's a daggum good idea!

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 12

Cupcake wrappers is a good idea. If you have access to a Cricut and have one of the wrapper cartridges, you can just cut them all out with no effort.

Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 12

I like the paper template idea for cupcake wrappers - Unique but not expensive! ... Unfortunately we don't really have Cricut here, so it will have to be done the old fashioned way...

Thanks for the good ideas so far, please keep them coming - I knew I could rely on CC icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 12

What is a water pen?

cutthecake Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:06am
post #10 of 12

Buddy used a water pen to attach fondant pieces in a video for Satin Ice. It looks like a glue pen, but it's filled with water. It's a scrapbooking tool. You can see it on the table when he makes the pink bow on the heart cake, then he uses it.
http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

cutthecake Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:36am
post #11 of 12

Shazzi, You don't even have to cut them out. Just provide the outline, maybe printed on fancy paper.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:45am
post #12 of 12

Thanks CuttheCake, I think I'm going to have to go get me one of thoseicon_smile.gif I am also spilling my water. I wonder if it would be useful to have 1 with water and 1 with vodka for removing oops...Hmmmmmicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%