Sinking Cupcakes

Baking By sweet56pooh Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm by sweet56pooh

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:56am
post #1 of 8

Please help! I'm trying to find a good vanilla cake recipe that I can use to make cupcakes. I tried a version of the WASC using vanilla pudding and coffee creamer. The taste was wonderful, but the cupcakes sank in the middle. They rose nicely while baking, but about a minute after cooling the center started sinking. I didn't open the oven while it was baking. Any suggestions? TIA!!

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:09am
post #2 of 8

were they fully baked? often thats linked to sinking.
i prefer a victoria sponge recipe for cupcakes, have a look on google or www.bbc.co.uk/food
xx

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 8

I don't do doctored cake mixes.

But brincess_b is right, it is usually from underbaking.

And it can also be from too much sugar or sweeteners in the mix also. Because you added to the perfectly formulated cake mix, you might have added too much sugar to the other toughener ingredients in the mix.

I know others have great success with doctored cake mixes, but they also add eggs too. You may want to check on here in the recipe section for a doctored cake mix recipe and try that.

Hopefully you will hear from others who use doctored cake mixes and have made them into cupcakes. What works for a larger pan like a cake pan may not work for a cupcake.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 8

I think it's too much fat. If you subbed in the coffee creamer for water you really increased the fat content A LOT!! And too much fat will really mess with your outcome.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8

Hate to sound dumb..but if the coffee creamers are non-dairy (as they say they are) are you really adding fat?

sweet56pooh Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 8

I subbed half of the water with coffee creamer. Comes to think of it, I did make chocolate cc using this exact recipe, but I didn't use the coffee creamer and I was baking in my parent's gas oven. They turned out beautiful! I used one of those toaster oven with the vanilla ones. It could be a combination of the two. What do you guys think? The cc were fully baked I think. The toothpick came out clean and the tops were getting really brown. I'm going to try again and cut out the extra sugar that the recipe calls for. I think they have a fat free version of the creamer too. Oh, and of course my liners are pulling away from the cc. Go figures icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks everyone!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

Hate to sound dumb..but if the coffee creamers are non-dairy (as they say they are) are you really adding fat?

Non-Dairy does not mean Non-Fat.

This is info on Cinnamon Vanilla Creme :
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 tbsp (15.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 40Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.0g3%
Sodium 5mg0%
Total Carbohydrates 5.0g2%

So.. if you're adding a cup to a recipe, you're adding 16 Tablespoons, which adds 32 grams of fat.. yea, that is a lot more fat than the cakemix is designed to use. Even if you only use 1/2 cup, you're adding an addtional 16 grams of fat.

When you're doctoring the mix, you're already adding an additional egg and sour cream. I really think the coffee mate put it over the top.

sweet56pooh Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 8

Okay, I used fat free coffee creamer and vanilla yogurt and cut the extra sugar. I also did the 400 degrees and drop to 350 and the cupcakes are coming out good. They are not doming, but at least they are not sinking. Thank you everyone with all the great tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%