Need Ideas - Choir Director Welcome Cake

Decorating By bchumley Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 12:13am by cmnycakes

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:58am
post #1 of 7

A few months ago, I made this cake for the farewell party for my church's outgoing music director.

Now I've been asked to do the cake for the welcoming party for the new director this weekend and my well runneth dry. I'd like to somehow incorporate the little choir people (they were made to resemble actual choir members...big hit the first time and very easy & quick to make), but other than that, I'm wide open.

Any thoughts?
(Thanks in advance -- you guys rock!)
LL

6 replies
PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:51am
post #2 of 7

I don't know how many people are in your choir, so this idea might not work but it's worth a shot.

Could you make a cake that looks like an open book (I think Wilton has a pan like this) and make it look like a choral octavo? It'd be fun if you could make four staves on each page so it looks like an SATB arrangement. Then you could put the choir member's faces on it--like you did for the organ cake, but this time the faces are the actual noteheads! Your sopranos could go on the soprano staff, the altos on the alto staff, etc. What fun it would be to see a favorite hymn done up like this . . . I may have to try it for our church choir.

Good luck!

Oh, and I thought the pipe organ cake was really cute. icon_smile.gif

--Piano Diva

bchumley Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 7

I like it!

I'll need more servings than the book pan, so it'll probably end up being another tiered cake, but I like the faces-as-notes idea a lot!

Thanks -- I'll let you know how it turns out!

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 7

I'm picturing rows of the cutout people on concave tiers, or maybe just the 'front' side of square tiers, so it's like the choir standing on risers. And a conductor's podium/stand on the "floor" in the center -- awaiting the new director's arrival. You could drape a "welcome" banner across the stand maybe.

bchumley Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 7

here's how it turned out.
thanks for the ideas, guys! it was a big hit!
LL

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 7

That's really cute! My eleven-year-old gave it her stamp of approval too. icon_smile.gif

cmnycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmnycakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:13am
post #7 of 7

These are all great idea. Here's another idea--this was for a singer, but it could still work perhaps:

http://cmnycakes.com/gallery//?g2_itemId=16481

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%