Buttercream+Outdoor Summer Wedding=???

Decorating By Misschelle Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 2:16pm by Carlachef

Misschelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misschelle Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #1 of 12

I am making a wedding cake and the bride only wants buttercream icing. It is a 3 tiered cake and the wedding is outdoors and I am terrified that this cake is going to melt right before my eyes!! icon_surprised.gif
Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping this cake intact?
Would it be a bad idea to use extra mirangue powder in the icing to make it a bit stiffer?

11 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 12

I would use buttercream made with hi-ratio shortening so that it can withstand the heat or try indydebi's buttercream.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 12

indydebi's and sugarshacks both withstand the heat and humidity just fine.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:18am
post #4 of 12

I use IndyDebi's buttercream, plus in the summer I add 2 tbsp of meringue powder per recipe and mine's worked out ok. The black and white in my photos (black piped hearts and scallops on alternating tiers was an outdoor wedding. It was under a tent and I asked them to have a fan near the table so I could direct it (not directly at the cake) over the top of the cake to keep the air moving. The fan also helps keep the flies away.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:40am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill

outdoor wedding. It was under a tent and I asked them to have a fan near the table so I could direct it (not directly at the cake) over the top of the cake to keep the air moving. The fan also helps keep the flies away.

Oh now.. come on.. you know there is nothing like a good soft buttercream and a horde of gnats to add that extra sparkle to the cake!! Why would you deny them the fun? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Isnt that what makes an outdoor cake so tasty? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 8:18am
post #6 of 12

I use Indydebi's bc recipe and I guarantee that it will hold up to over 100+ temperature and extreme humidity. Misscelle...I don't know where you are located but I'm in Arkansas and it has been 110 degrees with 100% humidity and a heat index of up to 116 degrees. I delivered a cake on Monday that was iced with Indydebi's bc and it held up great. The cake sat on a picnic table for about an hour before it was cut and served and the icing never lost it's 'crust' or melted in anyway. I WOULD NOT add meringue powder to her bc. Absolutely NOT....LOL....meringue powder leaves a bad aftertaste and it is in NO WAY necessary for the buttercream to 'hold up'. The Dream Whip will be sufficient so don't ruin your icing by adding the meringue powder. icon_lol.gif This icing will remain 'stiff' without any help from the meringue powder. I promise...and believe me I know how well it holds up.

I DO NOT refrigerate my cakes. Refrigerating you cake then taking it outdoors into the extreme heat and humidity is only asking for problems. Also don't ice a frozen, partially frozen or too cold of a cake. I iced a frozen cake once with this bc and it took just short of forever for it to finally crust.

Good luck with your cake.

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Misschelle Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 12

Does anyone have "Indydebi's" buttercream icing recipe??

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:56am
post #8 of 12

Its in the recipes section. Good luck with your cake. Also, I'd go with whatever mamawrobin suggests, or Indydebi, or Leahs, and there are several other very experienced decorators on here who have been very helpful.

Tesso: you are a RIOT icon_lol.gif

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:32am
post #9 of 12

I'm glad your talking about this. What about whipped cream wedding cake. I have a three tier whipped cream wedding cake due on Saturday. I'm in Chicago where the weather is also hot and muggy. Thank goodness it's not outdoor but I fear transportation will be a problem. I'm using Rich's Bettercream and haven't had any melting issues yet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle this. I've done lots and lots of tiered cakes but I'm very nervous about this one.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #10 of 12

I don't know about the Bettercreme. I'd stick with Indydebi's. Its one you really don't have to question. I haven't tried Sugarshacks yet, but it seems like its also a good one. One you don't have to worry about.

Misschelle Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #11 of 12

Thnakyou everyone, I will try that recipe!
Carlachef, as for transportation I am right with you. We have not yet figured out what we are going to do. I hope a suggestions comes up for that question!

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 12

I'm thinking that after I stack and ice, I'll freeze. Pack my SUV trunk with ice. Put the cake in a nice fitting corregated box. Of course use the air on high. PRAY PRAY PRAY !!!! Please if anyone has any advice let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%