How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By NinPOCAMAMA Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 4:46am by NinPOCAMAMA

NinPOCAMAMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NinPOCAMAMA Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #1 of 9

Hello!

I made this dummy cake for my son's 1st B-day party (12x4 & 10x4 inch Round Cake Dummy). The theme was baby sesame street. This is my first time working with fondant and gumpaste and I am clueless about pricing. A lot of people liked it and asked me how much would I charge. It seems that they didn't care it was fake. How much should I charge? Also, what can I use to preserve the cake and use it for display?

Thanks so much for the input!

Elisa
LL
LL
LL
LL

8 replies
cakelady2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2002 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 9

I used liquid color to color my fondant and it was a dasister. Fondant became so sticky, i had to keep putting cornstarch and powdered sugar and the fondant became very dry and cracky. Need some advise

thank you

cakelady

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinPOCAMAMA

How much should I charge?

Being copyrighted characters, legally you can't charge for the cake.

Very cute work!

To preserve it, keep it out of direct sunlight and bright light. Also avoid hot and/or humid rooms. Dust it as needed with a dry cloth.

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 9

this was your very first time using fondant OR gumpaste??? ahMAZing!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:23am
post #5 of 9

cakelady, simply purchase precolored fondant.

NinPOCAMAMA, Piccolo is correct. You can't sell that cake at all with those characters on it. And of course you'd need to be inspected and licensed to sell at all if your state/city requires it.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

cakelady, simply purchase precolored fondant.

NinPOCAMAMA, Piccolo is correct. You can't sell that cake at all with those characters on it. And of course you'd need to be inspected and licensed to sell at all if your state/city requires it.

But I think that they wanted a dummy cake like the op, Do you need an inspection for that? icon_redface.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 9

Ahh . . . dummy. No, if it's a decoration and not food, you wouldn't need to be inspected and licensed. But those copyrighted figures are still a no-go.

Thanks for catching that!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 9
Quote:

Ahh . . . dummy. No, if it's a decoration and not food, you wouldn't need to be inspected and licensed. But those copyrighted figures are still a no-go.

Thanks for catching that!

Most definitely!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

NinPOCAMAMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NinPOCAMAMA Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:46am
post #9 of 9
Quote:

But those copyrighted figures are still a no-go.

Thanks for the response =) I understand the copyright issue and not being able to make profit. So let me make another question, looking at the cake by itself with all the details how should I charge for the decorations (disregarding the toppers)?I know there is a lot of info here about pricing (i.e. slice, etc) but I need help on charging for decorations.

Regarding making real cakes I also understand about the permits/inspections but I wanted to start with dummies to see if I had the patience/talent to work with fondant and gumpaste. This is only the beginning. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%